A+ training

Discussion in 'A+' started by alsheppard, Oct 14, 2005.

1. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Hello to all again, I have had real trouble signing in which really frustrated me because this is a great forum. My fault entirely though, i was logging on to the .com site instead if the .co.uk.

Anyway A+.

I'm keener than ever to get this done i love the PC maintenance and as i can see this is the first step. The only problem is, is this huge book I'm trying to get through It's so mundane and i can not seem to take it all in.

Me + BOOKS = :cry:

I've been tempted by all sorts of E learning suppliers, which after numerous visits by sales men I've been really put off.

Now I'm looking at training camps, in one particular trainingcamp.co.uk in oxford. It's a 7 day course starting the 14 of Nov. accommodation inc.

Has any one had any experience with this company, or similar companies?

Anyway Glad to be back

Regards

Adam

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Which A+ book are you using?

Most people around here recommend Mike Meyers and usually they find it really easy reading.

You would be far better off putting yourself through it than heading to a bootcamp, as you will learn a lot more buy doing it yourself in you own time.

8)

3. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

to be honest mate a training provider is only going to throw books at you anyway, maybe this one you're looking at offers other services but if they do, you'll still be expected to study on your own.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

I'm reading the "A+ Complete Lab Manual" It's hard work as i learn a lot better when works 'hands on'.

'Hands on' learning was the attraction to 'the training camp' and the fact that they were offering A+ and N+.

For the past month all the training opportunities i have looked at have been book based, i guess I'll have to grit and bear it and get my head back into the book.

Thanks guys

Adam

5. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

just noticed on your first thread mate. is that 7 days for both certs?

not going to say impossible but damn hard none the less!!

just been to their site as well, and they're offering mcse/mcsa certs in 21 days!

wowza sign me up! :dry

Certifications: ECDL
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I'd agree with Simon. Mike Meyers is *very* readable. His easy going Texas style just makes the pages flow right on by. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Yeah that's what they said, 4 days 9 till 8 all day A+, and 3 days N+. with exams dotted between. Does sound pretty hard.

This was why i was wondering if any body had any personal experiences with the company.

Just looking for hands on alternative?

Adam

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Sounds to me that they're just gona fill you full of information to get you through the exam, which is ok as long as you only want to pass the exam.

You'll find that by doing it through a boot camp you will only retain about a third of the information, whereas if you'd done it at your own pace you'd retain more information for the future.

JMO.

8)

9. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

The retention level is going to be a lot lower than that. At the rate they'll be cramming it will be 20% or less. A N+ in 3 days is ridiculous. You better know all about networking before you go at that rate of cramming. I know some guys that took three days just to get their heads around subnetting and "anding".

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I agree with Simon. Boot camps are designed for people who already have the skills but not the cert. Usually, their employers require them to get the cert and pretty darn fast. They send their techs to the boot camp to drill down the skills sets just long enough to pass the cert. It's more just getting people organized...not really teaching them what they don't already know.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

Thanks for the advise guy's, they glamorise their courses so much when speaking to me i tend not to see anything wrong with them.

Much appreciated

Adam

12. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

You're welcome. An unethical salesmen can make a pigs ear look like a silk purse.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  13. acepal

acepal Bit Poster

try mike meyers m8.he breaks subjects right down to make it easier to grasp plus he adds a little humour.i relly do enjoy his books.

Certifications: A+,NETWORK+
    WIP: 70-270
  14. Dream_In_Infrared

Dream_In_Infrared Nibble Poster

Agree with the comments about Mike Meyers. The "A+ All in One" book is accessible. He uses humour and anecdotes to spice up the text and make seemingly difficult-to-remember topics easier to recall.

Also, look into the possibility of doing courses at your local college. I have completed a 3 week night-school course [total of 18 hours] covering 'PC Buidling and Upgrading'. It was great because I found I was covering material in the book and again at night but in a different way. It worked out to be a good combination. There was quite a bit of hands-on [including a PC build, installation of OS, partitioning a drive]. I am currently part way through a follow-up 3 week course on 'PC Fault Diagnosis and Servicing' which is equally fascinating.

OK, so the courses are not A+ but they cover material covered in the A+. It has given me a chance to learn experientially, a chance to swap information and ideas with other students and the lecturer and ask questions which has helped me to clarify troubling concepts. The 2 courses will cost me £180 in total but I consider it to be time and money well spent. It is just another way of making inroads into the A+.

Good luck with whatever you decide. :D

Certifications: None :(
  15. alsheppard

alsheppard Bit Poster

That's exactly what i am looking for, some hand on experience under guidance form a professional. I'll check them out in the morning and let you know how i get on.

thanks

ADAM

16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Al,

Just picked up on your thread. I agree with what has been said. Cramming is OK if you know the course content inside out already and want to concentrate on the "facts" to pass, otherwise crazy in my opinion. :blink

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

LOL :biggrin

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT