A+ Timescale

Discussion in 'A+' started by andy204, Mar 7, 2008.

1. andy204

andy204 New Member

Hey guys,

thanks to the advice I have found on these forums I have decided to start my hopeful career change into I.T by studying A+ at home, using the Mike Meyers book and street smarts. What I would like to know is how much time you would recommend studying each week. Also I know I can take it in my own time etc. but what would be a reasonable time period from start of study until passing the exam? Cheers for any advice!:biggrin

2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

What kinds of hours can or will you be able to put in each week?

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. andy204

andy204 New Member

probably an average of 10 hours, up to 15 at a push.

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

It would be reasonable for you to study until you completely understand the concepts. Take as long... or as little... as you need.

Everyone is different. It would be irresponsible of me to tell you how long YOU should take to study. I didn't study at all... but I had several years of IT experience when I took the exams. Some people take more than a year. It all depends on how well you learn, how much you already know about computers, and what other responsibilities you have.

Study until you understand... then take the exam. It's up to you. Take whatever time you need.

Best of luck!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Lev Arris

Lev Arris Byte Poster

I assume that you have this already but just in case :

You will find your study massively more productive if you have an old PC that you can work on. Concepts like the importance of not bending a pin when installing a processor only really come to light when you manage to break the only one you have.

Also you need to be able to assemble a PC and install windows on it, you really need the actual practical ability to do this.

As I say you probably already have a test rig etc.. at home but if not you can pick up the cheapest of cheap PCs to practice on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, MCSA (270,290,291)
    WIP: CCNA ..Global Domination
  6. andy204

andy204 New Member

Hi
    I do have a practice machine but thanks for that. Is it literally any old pc that will do or should it be one with at least some mod cons?

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A PC with windows 2000 or xp should do the trick.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

As much time as you can spend without impacting the important things. For me the important things include quality time with my wife & kids; work; etc...

As mentioned in earlier posts, it depends on the individual. But in essence, it will be the amount of time it takes for you to understand the topics.

Good luck with the studying.

9. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

I managed to pass my first exam the 220-602 in 1 week, but it depends on how much you read, also i suggest you get practice exams and view a copy of windows 2000 and learn some tcp ip.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  10. Nate

Nate New Member

I studied for a day, but I too also had some field experience

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Secuity+ | MCP
    WIP: MCSE | CISSP
  11. Jagunco

Jagunco Bit Poster

Personally I've been studying over a year and still haven't taken the damn thing and judging by performances in mocks I'm in no position to.

This being said I have very little spare time to study and no prior experience with computers other than a little pottering at work and at home with OS

I try for 6 hours a week and often get less, so its my own fault, but I have things I put before A+ so I don't complain :)

Certifications: You're having a laugh
    WIP: CompTIA A+