A+ Techinician book Just made me laugh!

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Dhughes, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

Apparently and id like to share this with everyone,

When using a laptop on battery power if it will not turn on, it is possible that the battery is flat and requires charging

(altered wording slighty to avoid any copyright lol)

Would there actually be people out there that wouldnt think of this straight away? Especially seeing how you pass Essentials before this exam, hehe made me giggle though, hope i get asked that on an exam, a question id defiantely get right lol (hopefully lol)

Certifications: A+ Essentails, A+ Technician , MCDST
    WIP: MCSE
  2. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

Yes there are people out there that wouldnt think about the battery. I work in a customer support dept and teh amount of times we ask customers to check that a unit is plugged in and switched on or that the batteries have been charged is surprising!! happens at least twice a month.
    Sometimes it is the obvious that escapes everyones attention, simple things get overlooked as your trying to analyise the problem too in depth.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  3. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

awwww imagine the embarressment! :oops:

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

what will happen when you get a call: Nothing will come up on the screen?

You will check that the monitor is plugged in? if its onboard VGA and still nothing you can assume something happened to the onboard vga so replace mobo.. if its a card, reseat the card... this could take so long BUT did you check to see if the monitor is turned on??? :oops: Rule Number One never rule out the most stupid solutions! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Yes this happens way to often. Simple things that people forget to check before they ask for help.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

What book was that (I hope it wasn't mine...I don't *remember* writing that)? :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

lol ill never forget that now! i suppose if my old dear was to use a computer she'd have all those kind of problems bless her, country bumpkin you see not used to the technical age lol

8. Dhughes

Dhughes Byte Poster

yeah was your last one hehe

no its may manual that advent put together, some right corkers in it lol

9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If they didn't put it in there, then somebody would eventually complain, "Why didn't they tell us that they battery could need charging?" Seen that happen far too many times to count.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hate to be Devil's Advocate (aka damp squib) on this, but remember it's easy for us on our comfy little techie site to laugh at dumb technophobes, but let's all remember that we're here to support people who are non-technical.

If they all had the technical knowledge we had, we wouldn't have jobs, or be here in the first place. Lord knows, I'm sure I've heard laughter after leaving the local garage after getting my car fixed .... :oops:

Just bringing a sense of balance, Guys :biggrin

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

“Is it plugged in?”
    "Is it on?"
    "Are *all* the cables plugged in?"
    "Have you tried rebooting it?"

Always remember the basics! :biggrin

Just to pick up on Gavs point I prefer dealing with technophobes on a day to day basis. You never get any hassle and the problem generally gets fixed as you don’t get challenged each time you suggest something.
    When you deal with the guy who is “good with computers” expect a very stressful conversation to fix a problem that should take 5 minutes. It doesn’t though as you have to explain *everything* that you are doing only to hear “Don’t think that will work mate”

Don’t you just love working in IT? :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Some people dont know there is a battery in their laptops, ene though they are using it without a plug they just dont know.

Some peple actually think their laptop has been charged from when they have had it plugged in and is running magically.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Also to pick up on sparky's post: it is easier to talk to people who are technophobes or technologically inferior (big word) because what you say to them probably goes in one ear and out the other.

When you have to talk to someone who thinks they know their stuff then thats when the pain starts, its like my mate he has had a pc for 4 years now I have only just got mine 3 months ago (not had one for 10 years). He seems to think he knows it all because he has had his pc 4 years. I was asking him a few questions about XP as the last OS I had properly used was Windows 95 at Uni, and he was muttering and sighing as if I should know it even though I had never used XP extensivley.

But I feel I am properly getting to grips with it now and he is the one asking me the questions, also this is a guy who thinks he can do a cisco course without doing any mathematics (he has trouble with 24 hour clocks)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  14. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

I have to mildly disagree slightly again ... I'm generally relieved to get someone who knows their arse from their elbow, basically because you don't have to fanny around explaining where their hosts file is, or how to set smtp authentication on their mail client (no sir, not SPA ..) etc.

The problem that the last couple of posts refers to is when you get the arsehole that "thinks" he is THE computer guy (feck knows WHO allowed him to indulge that notion). Basically - this "outage" is costing his business millions ( he invariably in on a free, or shared, service) He knows how DNS works, but wants propagation to be immediate ... etc..etc...etc...

IMHO - the trick in supporting clients / users / customers / family is in communication. Let them hear what they want, whilst quietly fixing the problem. Once you are happy you've fixed it - then deliver the killer little dose of sarcasm. That's a feeling you just cannae beat !!! :biggrin

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Jakamoko, I agree with you 100% its just that sometimes we are so used to things being a no brainer and when there are mistakes to us it seems ridiculous how someone could not figure something as small as plugging the power to the monitor but you are right.8)

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, talking to a clued in user isn’t so bad but it’s the guy who *thinks* he can do your job because he has set up a wireless router (with no encryption btw) at home.

I received an email from an IT consultant who insisted that I had spelled his name wrong in his AD account. I emailed him back saying that everything looked fine on the server and asked if he could check the settings on his PC (thought I would let the guy have a look as he is meant to be a consultant after all).

He emails back asking if I knew what I was doing with Active Directory and copied in his boss (the guy who basically signs the support contract with us) and said I should double check the settings. FFS! :x

I took a screenshot of the user profile and sent him the email.
    5 minutes later he emails me back saying he had spelled his own name wrong in the POP3 settings in Outlook. No apology or anything and he didn’t copy in his boss with that email!

I emailed back saying “No problem” and copied in his boss, hee hee! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  17. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

You got it Prof :)

I maintain that it's a valid point though. I visited a client with no connectivity - plugged in their phone cable again, and asked them to be a little more careful with the hoover (substitute dust levitation and removal device here). Thing is ... you never know who they may recommend you to in the future 8)

Just remember to advise these people that the error was ID 10 T related......

EDIT LMAO @ Sparky - so true, Dude !! :D

18. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

With an older CRT monitor, also check the contrast and brightness. Sometimes they get turned to full darkness after the cleaners have done your desk.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  19. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...that's what he gets! :twisted:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!