A strange day

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by greenbrucelee, Jan 30, 2008.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Last Wednesday night whilst working I got the shakes, this was probably to do with not eating for a long period and my blood sugar was down. As a precaution I got some blood tests done and blood pressure taken.

Went to the doctors this morning and she said my colesterol is perfect, my liver is perfect my thyroid is perfect and I have a perfect blood count, she also said I must be a miracle of the medical world considering I used to party a lot and I eat strong spicy hot foods most of the time.

My body is a temple :D

Also I brought in to work my flash drive as I wanted to copy some stuff of my staff folder and take it home and put it on my PC, I couldn't see the flash drive in my computer and after a bit of thought I came to the conclusion that maybe it was assigning it a drive letter that was conflicting with a network drive letter, so I changed the flash drive letter to B: one that I know does not exist, and hey presto it worked.

Have never come across that before, I always thought windows would assign a letter that didn't exist to a new drive but it didn't weird :blink

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Fairly common problem to be honest mate. Not sure if particlaur flash drives want a set drive letter by default or not though. What drive letter do you get when you plug the flash drive into your home PC?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. greenbrucelee

its a new one just bought it today on my way to work, but it was assigning it F: at work which is a network drive, I'll plug it in my home pc when I get back later tonight and see what it says.

4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Congratulations on your body, GBL. :D I can only imagine what my doctor would say if I had all those tests. :oops:

I remember once when I was doing desktop support that a honcho complained that he couldn't transfer pictures from his digital camera's flash drive to his PC. I did some investigation and eventually figured out that the drive letter the flash drive needed to have in the system conflicted with the drive letter that had been recently used to create a mapped drive. I changed the drive letter as you did and all was well.

I documented this issue and its resolution in my "PC Street Smarts" book. Didn't you read that one? :wink:

EDIT: When I originally tried to reply, I couldn't connect to the server. Just tried again after several minutes of CF being offline and it all seems to be back now. Strange, indeed. :blink

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. greenbrucelee

Thats probably why it popped into my head about the drive letters, Iknew i'd seen somewhere before :lol

I had to creat this post twice as the first time it would connect :blink