1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ Starter Pack

Discussion in 'A+' started by AlphaMale, Feb 22, 2008.

1. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

Hi guys,

I've been working with my current employer for the last 2 years and pretty much have take on anything IT related from ASP / HTML to Photoshop and small amounts of IT support.

I, like the rest of the management have been thrown onto an ECDL course that is mandatory for the organisation. But I have also been told if I can think of any other certification that would prove handy to me and the company to put something forward.

So I'd like to put forward a shopping list so to speak on what it'll cost them to put me on an A+ course.

I've seen the GTS Leaning courseware website and was wondering if there is anything else that would prove useful?

'A+ Certification All-In-One Exam Guide' by Mike Meyers prehaps?

And the exam costs via Prometric?

Just looking to put a budget together 8)

Thanks guys.

Certifications: BSc Multimedia Tech & IT Studies
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You do not need to do a course for the A+ all you need is compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers & PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles an old computer to break & fix would be handy also.

You need to pass two exams each one will cost £111 + vat but if you go to a site like gracetechsolutions.com and buy two international vouchers (they must be the international ones) you don't have to pay vat.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Strange thing, for my two exams yesterday and today I had to pay only 110 pounds per each... Dunno why..

And yes, you don't need any courses to obtain A+ - self study is enough...

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Did you use a voucher, if yes then you don't pay vat with a voucher purchase.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. AlphaMale

AlphaMale New Member

Thanks guys, I guess the material is cheap enough but the exams expensive :blink

I'll note these two books down and see if I can get my employer to buy them for me and then ask for £222 for the exams. I think they get government funding so I don't think it'll be all that bad for them.

I have a PC and Mac so I guess I could always use my PC as the guinea pig. of course I could just build another if I need.

Thanks again guys.

Certifications: BSc Multimedia Tech & IT Studies
    WIP: A+
  6. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

No, payment was by cash...

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008