A+ Stage two......Mark

Discussion in 'A+' started by Fergal1982, Aug 4, 2004.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

well guys, i have just finished reading the A+ Meyers tome from cover to cover. and am about to begin stage 2 - notetaking and committing stuff to memory! argh. :rolleyes:

i think im gonna do a sample test for both the exams to see how much exactly i have managed to pick up from just reading it!:eek:

Wish me luck

Fergal:biggrin

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Good luck Fergal mate. I am in the same boat as you. Just need to book the exams now and fingers crossed muggins here gets the job done.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Good luck, Buddy. Remember, as much as you can, try actually *doing* what you're learning on a test computer or two. I know that when I took the A+, I remembered more what I had done rather than what I had read. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Best of luck to both of you when you come to sit them :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Fergal1982

remind me guys - we need to know processor specs, IRQ's, and common i/o & IRQ for the com an lpt ports, but do we need to know all the DMA's?

cause if so, i can only find two in the meyers book:
    DMA 0: DRAM refresh
    and DMA 2: FDD controller.

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

If you haven't yet, take a look at Comptia's A+ site. I don't know if this like to their objectives will work since I had to register my name and e-mail addy for it (CompTIA is not requiring the info in exchange for the objectives). If not, go to www.comptia.org and browse to the A+ cert section.

Hopefully, they'll drill down in the objectives and say if they test for DMA. You can probably Google DMA and get some helpful info.

Here's the link: http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/objectives.aspx?sent=1

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Andre

Andre Nibble Poster

No I do not think they ask about DMA. I am about to take A+ exam and now I'm checking my knowledge in Transcender test, Boston Software test and Total Seminars. And for now I haven't got any question about DMA. But you need to know IRQ and I/O.

Good Luck

WIP: 70-270, 70-290, Network+
  8. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

Hi

When I did the exam many, many years ago - it was all about knowing facts. Stage 2 in your studies is an important stage. :p

9. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Thats weird cos on www.techbomb.com it ask questions on DMAs as well IRQs, I/O. But that site does help even tho most of the questions are repeated and somehow I still get some of them wrong. In the words of Master Yoda 'Practice more, you must. My young Padawan. Hmm.'

10. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

I really wana make sure I get this so I'll check out those links Trip...thanks mate. Hey Fergal how about we meet up and do some serious cramming?

11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

IMHO you definitely do want to understand DMAs. Even if your not questioned on them, it does your preparation no harm.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. Fergal1982

understanding the DMA's im fine with, its definately something everyone should understand, its just from the point of view of memorising a specific list of common DMA usages. the the irq lists!

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I know some aspects do seem tedious, but instead of learning simple static facts such as this setting and that, arouse an interest in it.

I mean people easily remember the names of the players in the football team they support.
    When I used to support Liverpool madly as a kid, I took real pride in realing off the full squad names at every opportunity.
    Now I couldn't be bothered knowing who they are, as I have nearly no interest.

DMA and IRQ settings aren't football players, but think about thier relevance and what you want them to do for you.

Then you'll remember all you want.

14. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

thats a good point flex...here's another question...do we need to know the OSI layers at all? I am in the middle of printing out some relevant pages from my book to learn for the exams...so I really need some help here...I know what the objectives are but I need more specific info...

15. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

also what about the IEEE 802 Project Models? i am losing it now...

16. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

I think it's probly worth noing the OSI layers, especially if you are thinking about doing the n+ or CCNA or any networking cert. If you can learn it now, it'll be easier in the next step. You can never know too much!

HTH

Andy

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  17. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

true....

18. Fergal1982

yeah. meyers says that most of the intricate networking stuff you dont really need to know, as its assumed that an N+ tech will give you the necessary details, you just need to know how to set it up.

Fergal

19. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Knowing the layers of the OSI layer and their basic functionailty isn't exactly intricate.
    Rather, the OSI layer is fundamental to networking, so know the basics at least :!:

20. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

they may of changed it somewhat since 1996 but I didnt need to 'know' the OSI model and 802 standards, not like i needed to know them for the CCNA and MCSE
    however they are highly relavent and would encourage anyone looking for a career in IT to know the OSI models and common 802 numbers, we live in a networked world and it will only serve to help you in the future

for the OSI model

All (Application)
    People (Presentation)
    Seem (Session)
    To (Transport)
    Need (Network)
    Data (Data Link)
    Processing (Physical)

802.2 : LLC (Logical Link Control)
    802.3 : CSMA/CD (Ethernet)
    802.5 : Token Ring
    802.11 : Wireless LANs

those are the 'common' ones, you might need to know the ones in between also though.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0