A solution to internet connectivity issues ?

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by UKDarkstar, Apr 27, 2009.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Just found this which is being touted as a solution to wiring interference problems causing a bad ADSL connection.

It's on several sites, including broadbandbuyer, and seems to have some impressive reviews. I'm assuming this is just some additional circuitry as it would appear the standard microfilter is still required and it's only suitable for NTE5 sockets.

Anyone seen/tried one ?

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Old news! :biggrin

They're a waste of money. A much better investment would be a filtering faceplate, which looks the same but contains an ADSL filter.

This 'I-Plate' thing basically disconnects the ring wire (the 'third' cable), which isn't needed in a modern phone system and has been proven to cause interference. You could save yourself £10 and just disconnect it yourself (leaving only the 2x blue cables).

I have an ADSL Filtering plate, which, like I said is better than the i-Plate. The only downside with an ADSL filtering plate (if you can call it that) is that I have to have the modem by the master socket (which is ideal for me anyway). This also saves you having to plug microfilters into every scoket.

This is the sort of thing you want: http://linitx.com/viewproduct.php?prodid=11752 :p

Gav

3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Yes, used to have one of those many moons ago in the days when BT came out to fit it so you could have broadband - ha !

The item wasn't for me but just a general one which people may find useful. As you say, if it's just taking out the third cable then not a lot of point (I've done a fair bit of phone wiring with cat5 etc). Still, it may be of use to some to have a read if nothing else.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

Yeah.

I just hate how BT can get away with selling a device like that, when the procedure for removing the third wire is so simple.