A+ Should I stay or should I go....

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Afternoon campers,

Just wondered if I could pick the preverbial brains.

Currently working towards the A+ and have the 701 booked up for Tuesday 2nd November.
    Gotta admit, suffering from major nerves. I am taking the practive tests and averaging between 75% and 95% on each. Doing three different tests.

The concern I have is if I actually know this stuff or have I been doing the three tests so much that I am subconciously just remebering the answers?

It may just be nerves but any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers Guys,

Ron

2. NZ Kris

NZ Kris Nibble Poster

Hey mate, don't think you need to be nervous. When i did my A+ a couple of months ago i was in the same boat as you, (averaging around 75%-95%) on practice tests. Often the stuff i got wrong i knew and had just been rushing through the practice tests and hit the wrong button.

When you review the questions you got wrong, look the subject up in your Mike myers book or online or what ever and reinforce what you've learnt.

When i got into my exam i knew i had plenty of time so i read the questions carefully and slowly and i found after about 10 questions i was finding it easy and started to relax more and more as i went on.

Just keep on looking up the subjects you get wrong (don't get worried about it) and relax and take your time in the exam. Its normal to be a bit nervous (i was) but once your in there i think you will find you have plenty of time on your hands and there wasn't that much need to worry.

Hope that helps mate, cheers

ps. even though i had been through it, i had pretty much the exact same feeling when i did Network+ and again i got through that with 866/900 or something like that.

Certifications: A+ 2009, Network+, MCDST, MCTS, MCSA
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Jaron78

Good news :)

Not done exam in 15 years so forgotten how it feels. Want it completed before Xmas ideally.

Thanks once again. Have 5 days till I have to sit it so gonna re-read everything I can get my hands on :)

4. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

There are quite a lot of legit sites which have free practise tests you can use.
    Just beware of braindumps, for peace of mind i ran them all through this site to check they are legit.

http://www.certguard.com/

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I posted this in the PM I sent you, but I thought it beared repeating for all to see...

A practice exam can let you know if you're ready ONLY the first time you take each unique exam. After you've seen the questions once, those same questions will be easier the second time, and you'll score higher. Thus, if you've seen any of the questions in the practice exam before, the exam cannot accurately gauge the score you should expect.

You won't have ever seen the questions on the live A+ exam before. Granted, they cover the same concepts as you've seen on the practice exams... but they won't be the same questions. Thus, your score will likely be similar to how you did the first time you took each unique exam (A, B, and C).

The only way to accurately simulate how you would do is to have a new batch of previously unseen questions to practice on. Here's how I recommend using practice exams:

1. Don't even open the practice exam until you've studied everything (doing any relevant hands-on lab work along the way).
    2. When you think you're ready, take Exam A. Afterwards, read through ALL of the explanations - even the ones that you answered correctly. After all, the nugget of information that you'll need to answer a CompTIA question correctly might just be hidden there. Know why the right answers are right and the wrong answers are wrong.
    3. Go back to the study guides (and hardware/software, if need be) and study areas where you are weak.
    4. When you think you're ready, take Exam B, following the same procedure as you did in Step 2.
    5. Again, go back and study the areas where you are weak.
    6. ONLY when you are fairly confident that you are ready for the exam, take Exam C. This will be your last batch of unique, previously unseen questions, so this is the last opportunity you will have to get an accurate gauge of the score you should expect.
    7. Again, read through all the explanations and study areas where you are weak.
    8. At this point, you can take random exams (or retake each of the three structured exams) again just to reinforce your knowledge, but the score you receive is not necessarily indicative of the score you should expect.

So... if those were the scores you got the first time you took them, I'd say you're ready. If those are the scores you're getting after taking each exam several times, I'd say that you are likely ready, but there's no way to know for certain.

Hope this helps. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Never do the same practice tests over and over otherwise you will remember the questions and answers.

You should purchase a quality exam sim which will have lots and lots of questions which are usually in a few tests and they can be randomized.

I would recommend www.boson.com but there are others such as transcender and preoplogic.

www.proprofs.com have free exams and they are legit.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Jaron78

Many Thanks guys,
    Im currently using Boson and CompTIA All In One.

8. Jaron78

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update,

Took the 701 today and.................Passed with 700 :D

Few sneaky questions that in all honesty I should have stuck with my origional answer and slightly miffed that I only managed 700 but then Id rather that than fail so beggars cant be choosers and all that.

Thanks guys for all your comments, much appreciated and I am really inspired to get on with 702 if only just to see the flashy certificate with my name on it :)

Ron

9. Colloghi

Colloghi Kilobyte Poster

Congrats:D

Certifications: A+, MCP 270, 271, MCDST
    WIP: 290
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Congrats! I remember doing my first exam which was the A+ and man was I nervous. Overtime however it gets easier as you get more experience, etc.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Well Done mate! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  12. Jaron78

Cheers Guys,

Really appreciate it :D

There was a 5 second delay between Clicking End Exam and waiting for the Pass or Fail Screen.....It actually felt like 5 hours ha ha. Would have liked a higher score but will take a Pass no matter what :D

13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

A pass is a pass. Congrats!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!