A+ Self Study. Advice Needed

Discussion in 'A+' started by JAG32, Feb 12, 2007.

1. JAG32

JAG32 Bit Poster

Hi guys. I'm new to these forums and have enjoyed reading some of the informative posts I've found here, but would like some advice on a couple of things.

I consider myself to be PC literate but having no qualifications behind me I have decided to go for the A+. What i would like to know is this.

1. As of this post (Feb 07) do you think it would be best to wait a while and go for the A+ 2006 instead of trying to cram for the A+ 2003 exam which I believe discontinues in June 07 in the UK.

2. When buying your vouchers for the exams do you need a credit card in your own name to do this (I don't have one myself :cry: ) and what kind of expiry time do the vouchers have.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated.

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Hi there, and welcome to CF :)

On your first point, I'd personally say that going for the 2006 objectives would be the better idea if your starting from scratch. I've been studying for the A+ Essentials for about a month now and have found the updated objectives great.

Secondly, I dont think you need a credit card in your name, you can buy them on any card, but when you book your exam you use the code on the voucher. Most of the vouchers have a year til they expire, but there are also vouchers available that expire quicker, which are usually cheaper due to this.

Do check on that second point as I havent actually purchased any vouchers myself yet!

Good luck with your studies! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Ill also second that.. i think you would be better off going for the 2006 now as you might run out of time. The vouchers can expire whenever - it depends on when you buy them - usually if they expiring in a few weeks these would be the cheapest with the ones going for longer more expensive.

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

as stated above if you're starting now, going for the 2006 is probably the best idea.

you can use paypal to buy the vouchers if that helps.

as zimbo says if there is only a few weeks left on them, then getcertify4less drop the price by a few dollars.
    and make sure you get the right vouchers, ie the international or usa/canada versions

all the best and good luck with the exam
    :)

5. JAG32

JAG32 Bit Poster

Thanks for the quick responses to my queries. I'll take the advice here and study up on A+ 2006!