A reasonable time to stick with a job?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by ManicD, Mar 15, 2008.

1. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

I been in my first IT job since begining of Jan, now, i was explained the school runs everything Via RM Management.

Now this is nice, its easy (though it comes with its own problems) but its not Microsoft... I feel like i'm could well be letting my microsoft skills fall by the wayside and i dont want to get lazy. yes i'm learning many other skills, how to diagnose problems with ram/hard drives/network etc. but theres gonna come a place where i stop learning that and start standing still, i feel. originally myself and my boss said i would be staying about 9 months - a year, now i'm thinking that i might cut that to 6 months.

i'm just wondering if it might look a lil bad on my CV to have only worked 6 months?

should i stay for longer?

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  2. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

IMHO I would stick it out longer unless you get offered a job..maybe sign up withIT Contractor

Of course it does depend on the employer but minium the employers ask for is either 1 year work experience sometimes 2, depending on the job!:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That depends. I jumped from job to job every few months at the beginning of my career - I was getting job offers with great salary increases. However, changing jobs repeatedly almost damaged my career permanently. I almost didn't get a job I really wanted because I was perceived as a "job hopper" (7 months, 4 months, 9 months, 19 months). Ultimately, they took a chance on me, and I counted it as a blessing: I stayed with that company for the next 4 1/2 years.

By all means, change jobs if you feel you must... but be absolutely sure before you take that leap.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

If you are still learning something then I would stay - you've only been there 2 months, give it a change, perhaps there may be other avenues to explore.

Not all IT jobs are Microsoft based, as you've found in education its not, banking/finance jobs I've heard aren't always on MS OS either, so just because its not mainstream, it doesn't mean its not worthwhile.

The fact that its your first IT job works against your current thinking - I would aim for the 9 months/year and then look around - mine was 8 months, before moving on but that was within the same company. As BM said, go if you must, be stand in an employers shoes and look at how you come across if you do.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

9 months to a year then look around for a new job. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

my last 4 jobs ive lasted 9 months to a year as i get bored and aren't offered a challenge so i leave

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  7. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

just to be clear, i'm definatly thinking of working the 6 months, but its just how much longer i stay....

and job hopping is what i dont really want on my CV so much, unless i can provide really good reasons for moving on. which i suppose professional development is a reasonable reason.

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  8. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

You've already decided to stay for a minimum of 6-months...
    Work the 6-months and give it a fair shot. Then (at the end of 6-months) decide how much longer you want to stay.

Job-hopping once won't look too bad, but doing it repeatedly obviously will! :blink