A rather Dull Dell

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by keithmoon, Sep 24, 2009.

1. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

A customer has brought a dell inspiron 1720 laptop in.

When I power it on the display is alomst impossible to see but when tilted to a certain angle you can see the display logon screen.
    My inital thoughts were that the backlight is away. Would this be a correct diagnosis?

Kind Regards everyone

2. skulkerboyo

skulkerboyo Megabyte Poster

Replace lcd inverter

Very common point of failure in dell screens and causes the dull unlit screen thing. The component shouldnt cost much

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
    WIP: 70-417
  3. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

thanks for the reply :)
    is it more likely to be the inverter than the baclight?

4. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Doesn't the inverter supply power to the back light.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  5. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

Try reseating the LCD cable to the motherboard, I use to work for dell, you would be amazed at how many times this fixed that type of problem.

Also check if its under warranty, Let dell fix it for free if parts are needed.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  6. skulkerboyo

Yes

I have had to replace many in my hardware days.

You should be able to see the screen if you shine a torch on it. This way you can see the screen and run the dell diagnostic (press f12 and select). Or plug it into an external monitor and do the diagnostic. you may need to fn toggle for cloned display.

It should pick up the failed component.

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA 03, MCSA 08, MCTS(680+648),A+,N+,ITILV3 Foundation, ITIL Intermediate: Operational Support and Analysis
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Reseat the cables (to the LCD and to the motherboard) first, then reseat the inverter (careful! electrical shock danger!). If neither of those steps work, a new inverter's going to be MUCH cheaper than a new backlight. It's worth a shot... and it worked on an old Dell I had.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

I reseated the cables to the invertor and the display looked great :) i let it run for a bit then shut down and closed the case.
    on powering up again it went back to being dull :( is this a sign of the invertor being buggered or a loose cable some place?
    cheers all

9. skulkerboyo

Inverter problems are usually intermittent

You could clean the cable contacts to be sure

10. keithmoon

keithmoon Byte Poster

after purchasing a new inverter the scrren cam up like new :)
    i checked it on and off for a week and it seemed fine.
    the day i was due to give it back to the customer it went dull again :(
    now it works intermittently when it feels like it :(
    i tried the re-seating the connectors again but it is doing t. i tried leaving it stationary when it worked incase it was snagging a cable somewere when i was lifting it, but it still does it .

am i to think its a backlight problem?

thanks all in avance

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's hard to say with intermittent problems but given the fact that it worked for a week with the new inverter, that leads me to suspect that it's more likely to be a connection issue than the backlight itself. It could be a dry solder joint where the connectors are mounted in their boards.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)