A+ Questions

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Jaron78, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Sorry for all the questions guys, but trying to get as much info as possible. I am currently studying for the CompTIA A+ 220-701.

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind.

1. What is the pass mark for the 220-701.

2. What is the difference between the 701 & 702? Is it worth taking these at the same time? Or space the exams out? Im looking to take the 701 in June so it gives me over a month to study. Does that seem a realistic time frame?

Cheers

2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Hi the CompTia A+ Essentials 220-701 consists of 100 questions which you will have a time of 90 minutes to answer, the pass mark you need to get is 675 on a scale of 100-900.

The A+ Practical Application also consists of 100 questions in the same timescale with a pass mark of 700 also on a scale of 100-900.

CompTIA A+ Essentials measures the necessary competencies of an entry-level IT professional whereas CompTIA A+ Practical Application is an extension of the knowledge and skills identified in CompTIA A+ Essentials, with more of a "hands-on" orientation focused on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems.

Hope this helps i'm also hoping to take the A+ exams soon.

Good Luck!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
    Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Carman

Carman New Member

I took both exams just a week ago, and in all honesty I didnt find there was much difference in the content.

This could be because I just studied them as a whole.

I also chose to take them back to back rather than space them out, but that was just a personal choice, and I felt confident I could pass both. If you are feeling less confident, it might be best to leave at least 24hrs between them, so if you fail the first one you could always reschedule the next (you get the results instantly at the end of the exam).

Good luck!

Certifications: A+
    WIP: MCP, CCNA, MSCE
  4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Here's my experience. I started looking at the 2006 A+ material in 2009. I had the Jean Andrews book. At that time the test was an Essentials test and then choose one of 3 other tests. When CompTIA announced that this would be retired at the end of Feb. 2010 I kicked into gear. I did not focus on one or the other. I studied all the material for both areas.

I took the Essentials part on a Friday, Feb 19 and took the IT Technician on the following Monday. That gave me the weekend to "recover" There is so much over lap in the material that I would recommend studying them as one big topic! I went ahead and took the "old" test because the material I had been studying covered that. BTW I made a 843 (with a 675 out of 900 needed) on the Essentials and a 819 (with a 700 out of 900 needed) on the IT Technician so the few days off didn't hurt much. I took them so close because of the end of Feb. time deadline. If I was doing it again I'd give myself about a week to bone up on any material I felt weak on from the first test but I'd still do them close together (and not weeks or months apart).

I did go on to take the '09 A+ bridge to be currently certified (and got an 865 out of the needed 500 out of 900). I don't know why the bridge had such lower requirements. In fact, based on the questions I received I could have passed the bridge without any extra studies. The Andrews book was very good. A lot of people on this forum have recommended the Mike Meyers. Actually I watched Mike Meyers for around 30 hours through the PrepLogic videos and he is good too but I needed a break from him. I found the PrepLogic practice exams to be very helpful. I also recommend the ExamCram book with the test CD. I actually only used the test CD and liked it. When studying for the bridge I used the Transcender and the UCertify practice exams because they were the only ones I found that actually claimed to be for the bridge exam. Of these two, I liked UCertify better for studying but did learn a lot from the Transcender. Hope this helps.

Good luck on your studies!

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple