A+ questions.

Discussion in 'A+' started by Stuka, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about taking my A+ exam in January 09. However, I have a few questions if anyone would gladly fill me in...

1. What objectives do the current A+ follow? Eg. Is it the 2006 objectives? Or have they been updated to 2007, 2008 etc?

2. What OS's are covered by the A+ exam? Do we still have to revise Windows 9x? Or is the exam based on Windows 2000/XP (and/or Vista?).

3. Am I right in thinking that I can sit the Comptia A+ Essentials and 602 (IT Tech) at any centre, providing its Pearsons VUE?

Cheers guys, your responses would mean a lot to me.

Jonathan.

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The exams were updated late 2006/7 (can't remember) but they havent been updated since.

The A+ mainly covers Windows 2000 and XP (all my questions about Oss were on XP)

You can take the exams at any centre you wish and it doesn't have to be pearson vue it can also be prometric.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Thanks mate.

So would you say that most questions these days revolve around Windows 2k/XP for the OS's?

Also, when you take the test, do you do the Essentials, then, if you pass, take the A+ exam seperately? Maybe a few days later?

4. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

I can answer the first question- yes :) I've been reading the Mike Meyers book, and it seems all the content revolves around either 2k or XP.

5. greenbrucelee

Yeah XP or 2k and you can take the exams whenever you want and in any order you want.

I did both of mine on the same day one after the other with an hour break in between.

6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Have you read the objectives for this course?

7. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Where can I find them, Mr.Cheeks? Thanks.

EDIT: lol, I've just found the objectives pinned to this forum. I've actually got a copy of the CompTIA A+ 2006 Exam Objectives at home, lol.

I take is the 2006 objectives are the ones used in the exams?

I'm also a little apprehensive as to the learning materials I have used. I've noticed on this forum that many swear by the Mike Meyers book. I read the Jean Andrews "A+ 2006 In Depth" from back to front...some how, I feel as though it was a waste of time, if so many strongly advice to read the MM book...

As I've read the JA's book, she does seem to talk about and scrutinize everything to do with computers...even Windows 3.x and Windows 9x, this is probably the reason as to why I raised the question of "do you need to know about Windows 9x for the exam" etc...

8. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I have heard this book mentioned a few times, and i think, somebody said it was good but a little dry compared to the MM book.

Also I always find it best to read front to back :lol:

WIP: A+
  9. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

yes it's the 2006 objectives that are the focus of the exams,you don't need to know windows 3.1 or windows 98 for the exam,there was one small question about windows 2000 ,and plenty asked about windows xp it's the main operating system focussed on for the A+ .

Even your practical work should be done using windows xp,in college everything is windows xp related,install drivers,install printer,set up a network,all done on xp.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  10. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Cheers for the replies, guys. Providing everyones 100% confident that I don't need to revise 98/Me etc...then that'll do for me!

11. greenbrucelee

remember you are not just studying for an exam, some companies havent got around to using xp yet some may be on earlier versions of Windows.

For the A+ you should know Windows 2000 & XP but also have an awareness of earlier Windows versions.

12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unfortunately there are still Windows 98 and NT PCs out there. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

you still see win95/98/ME in practice questions. Normally regarding upgrade paths to 2000/XP and Step-by-step confirmation mode which was a feature of 95/98. But that's all I have seen.

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  14. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

haven't seen any modern a+ material practice questions that refer to windows 95 or even windows 98,if you see those it is the old material,and out of date practice questions.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  15. greenbrucelee

Ahh I remember a question I had, I wont repeat it but it had to do with having to run xp in windows 95 compatabilty mode. So like I said an awareness is needed of earlier versions of Windows.

16. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

According to sources I've studied on the current CompTIA A+ exam objectives (including Meyers 6th Ed and the Exam Cram book): early Windows, Windows 9x and NT are NOT tested directly (and Vista, not at all), BUT upgrade paths to XP ARE fair game for a question.

IIRC - for XP it's pretty easy to remember anyway...
    Windows 98 or later, NT4.0(SP5) or later, and Win2K -> XP

If it's anything before that, you'll need an intermediary step (e.g. 95 -> 98 -> XP).
    I could never find out paths for 2K. I'm guessing it's not covered.

You may also need to know about the upgrade process. And the advantages of 2K/XP over earlier Windows versions (think file systems).

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  17. greenbrucelee

what he said ^

NTFS vs FAT32 etc.

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Y'all like to skirt the edges of exam confidentiality, doncha? :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. greenbrucelee

I didn't post any question or answers, just tips. I would never do that.

20. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Regardless of how vague you believe it is, revealing that there's a question on Windows 95 compatibility breaks confidentiality, does it not? Perhaps your definition is different than mine.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!