A+ Questions

Discussion in 'A+' started by ridge racer, Aug 12, 2007.

1. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

hi guys

im looking to begin an a+ certification but im lacking places to actually find prices and also a place that includes everything i need? i found these guys:

http://www.gtslearning.com/online-learning/a-certification.htm

which seem ok and give a money back garentee which is handy plus it seems cheap too... but iv never heard of them so im not sure

im just wondering if anyone here can list the best (and hopefully cheapest?) companys to go with so i don't get into a situation i regret later on

can anyone help? thanks alot

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Its a CBT based course, you get a CD/DVD and watch videos on you computer as training. This is one form of self study.

Alternatively you could just read a book, this is often the best and cheapest way to learn when combined with a little hands on practice.

Theres also distance learning which is generally like an online CBT but you get an email/instant messenger facility for any questions you have.

Finally you could take a traditional classroom based course with a real live tutor, these vary greatly in cost, quality and duration. Local tech colleges are your best bet in my mind for this type.

Read around the forums theres endless amounts of advice on various types of study.

Best of luck ! :biggrin

3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

There are quite a few companies around from what's been said here before, but they do cost quite a bit of money. Generally if you want to go with a provider you want to go with somone who is known and has good reviews.

I personally think that self study is the better route as you save yourself a lot of money.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I am currently self studying for the A+ using the All in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers.

This is the comprehensive study material you need.

I also have another book PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles who is know as Tripwire45 on this forum.

Total cost of my study is £70 got an old pc from a junk shop to practice stuff on.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Everything you need:
    old PC
    Mike Meyers A+ All-in-One Study Guide
    James Pyles PC Technician Street Smarts

...and that's about it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

so doing it that way you just buy the books, teach yourself then go in for the exam?

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's it! :thumbleft

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well...that and get yourself a PC or two to play around with. If you have any sort of technical/mechanical aptitude at all, studying and hands-on should do the trick. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

well i just bought both of those books off amazon (30 pound for the 2) which aint bad :D now to start studying up, iv got a oldish 750mhz pIII laptop which il be using, i can build pc's and have done many times so my hardware knowledge is fairly good

10. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

sounds like you'll be fine, check out the Comptia website for the objective of the exams and bone up on the areas you feel you know the least in...

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  11. ridge racer

ridge racer New Member

thanks alot guys, il let you know how i get on! :twisted: