A+ questions, is A+ relevent qualification in the UK

Discussion in 'A+' started by jake77, Jan 10, 2012.

1. jake77

jake77 Bit Poster

I live in the UK, and I have noticed that comptia A+ cert doesnt seem to hold much weight in the UK. Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Certifications: 50m swimming certificate
    WIP: No cert, I'm an apprentice.
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

IMO (as an IT manager), yes it does hold weight. However like every other qualification out there (vocational, academic and professional) it is down to the individual organisation whether or not they require/want/need it.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
    jake77 likes this.
  3. Les1977

Les1977 Bit Poster

This seems to have been a matter of some debate on these forums.
    Some companies ask for it/require it, some don't, and some don't even know what it is!
    The way I see it, it is a Certification, and if a company doesn't ask for it/know what it is, you can always take the time to explain to them what it is, and what it entails.

At the very least, most will understand it displays some level of IT competence, and shows you are willing to do the work, and learn, all of which are good qualities for any job.

I also found it laid good foundation, and good practice, for future certifications.

Before sitting the A+, I hadn't sat any exams for years, and found it was a good way to ease me back into studying.

Another point from a prospective employers point of view, is if you apply with a bunch of Certs, whether they asked for them or not, it proves you started on this path, stuck at it, and kept on learning.

Look at the Certs listed in Wagnerk's post. A+, N+ S+ are all there along with the MS Certs, and now he has a real impressive list! Who wouldn't employ him?

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, Linux+ / LPIC-1
    WIP: 70-680
    jake77 likes this.