A question for the UK folk

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by The Zig, Nov 5, 2009.

1. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

Just out of interest, wheres are you, and how is it for IT work?

At the moment I'm based in Essex (innit, mate!) I'm about a half hour drive from the big smoke (in one direction) and the sticks (in the other). For various reasons we're considering a move. For work, London-ward seems the obvious choice. London is probably the UK's number one place for jobs in IT. But it is HELL of pricey. I'm wondering if a bigger move wouldn't be a cool idea.

Perhaps midlands (went to Uni in Notts and it's well cheap up there!) Or even oop north. Say Manchester...
    I don't need, like, statistics, just looking for a general feel.

I've done the A+, and the MS 271 (hoping to finish the MCDST this year). I've been working in IT all year, basically as field engineer. Going to various corporate clients and installing/building/configuring/troubleshooting/moving terminals/servers/PDAs/etc.
    I'm working now, and relatively happy. Just thinking forward.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

You may consider staying where you are but working for an IT Outsource outfit as I do. You can be sent all over the country but some people don't mind that as its different week to week. . . . and you get to return home where you are used to when off

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Mr.Kamwah

Mr.Kamwah Bit Poster

Im on the outskirts of Oxford near the border of Buckinghamshire. Whenever i look for IT tech jobs just to have a nose at what jobs are about, Reading always seems to have alot of entry level IT jobs although Oxford has an inordinate amount of programming jobs advertised aswell as Database admins.

WIP: A+
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I'm in the East Midlands (Northants area), there doesn't seem to be alot of IT jobs being advertised in this area.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I'm in Manchester. Were quite fortunate here to have Liverpool, Manchester, Bolton, Stoke all within pretty easy distance. Chorley is pretty good for IT jobs for some reason.

It's reasonably cheap up here. weathers crap ALL year round. But it's a bit more friendly than down south. It's the logical move really. North FTW. North West though, you don't want the north eastern slags

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Down South (ooo-er posh ! :p )

Dorset - there are IT jobs around and the county fairs better that a lot of others in terms of unemployment but it would really depend on what you were looking for.

Not much in the way of IT Managers that I'm after but some helpdesk type jobs and web development stuff.

Try searching on www.jumptojobs.co.uk by county (or any of the other jobsites - do a search, there's a long list posted somewhere)

HTH

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

The 'M4 Corridor' is generally regarded as the Silicon Valley of the UK.

As mentioned London is probably the best single place for IT work in general but it is expensive and congested.

Oxford and Cambridge have big universities, this tends to attract some business and you therefore have small start ups and research parks etc.

You have to realise that head offices account for a lot of IT work, head offices are invariably places with good transport links, airports, motorways, etc.

Essex seems like a good location if you don't mind a daily commute into London.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Newcastle and I love the place as I'm Geordie so would say that. The IT industry in Newcastle is pretty poor compared to other areas.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  9. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

In Aberdeen. IT job market seems ok to me, plenty advertised. Many businesses here for the oil industry so i've been ok so far job wise.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP