A+ question for somebody

Discussion in 'A+' started by Subtle, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Subtle

Subtle New Member

Hello everyone,

I am studying for my A+ cert and have done a few mock exams. I came across a question about a CMOS mismatch error. It was something along the lines of;

A customer rings you saying that he has a CMOS mismatch error on his screen. He tells you that he had forgotten the administration password so he had replaced the battery. What should you check for?

a) The CMOS battery voltage
    b) New Hardware
    c) something else
    d) something else

Is the answer b) as all the hardware configurations would have been erased once the old battery was removed?

Any answers much appreciated:biggrin

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: A+
  2. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Well,this may well point to a hardware issue.Adding,removing or misconfigured hardware can give mismatch errors.

out of interest,what were the other two answers?

Certifications: A+ Network+
  3. Subtle

Subtle New Member

I think one of them was flashing the BIOS and I can't remember the other answer. But i'm fairly confident it wasn't a genuine answer, much like the one above.

Thanks for the reply.

Certifications: BSc Computer Science
    WIP: A+
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hm - if the 'customer' removed to battery to reset his password then all the BIOS entries would have gone, and the error you mention is a fairly usual result.

The fix is to put the data back in and save it, which will stop the error. But that doesn't appear in your list! :-( An emergency way is to select 'defaults' if that is available.

The two possible answers you give aren't really correct, and the snag with these sort of questions is that you *must* read the wording carefully to be able to answer it correctly.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

yup,the reason why I ask for the other two answers.

Certifications: A+ Network+