A+ passing rate percentage (approx)

Discussion in 'A+' started by Phiggles, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Hi all,
    ive been studying for my A+ with a known teaching company for a few years but stopped a lettle while in as acouple of things happened.

I have now restarted my study, using A+ for dummies, Sybex A+ complete along with Testout navigator software. With the software i have been getting typically between 85 - 90% correct on sim questions but....... on the "typical exam sim" it states the passing rate is 95%, surely its not that high for the proper exam?

Im pretty happy with 85 -90% if that will get me a pass in the Essentials exam.

This is a pretty good forum from what i have seen and read and i others can help me and i can help them to.

Many thanks

Phil

Certifications: A+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi there,

Welcome to the forum.

It's important to use the testing software correctly once you are happy with all the concepts you have covered. If you take small amounts of questions at once you will get a more realistic result than taking mass amounts of questions and remembering them "parrot fashion".

Good luck

Simon

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Evilwheato

Evilwheato Kilobyte Poster

Aim for 85% and you should be fine- I don't think it's as high as 95%!
    Essentials is 675/900 and IT Tech is 700/900, however questions are weighted, and some questions carry no marks :)

4. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

I did think 95% was a bit high, it maybe that the software puts it that high so you would then have no trouble passing the real exam.
    Ive done questions at the end of sections on the software, at the very end theres 6 domains- excludinding the exam one, ranging from 30 - 180 questions covering everything in each, so then i should be happy with 86% or above then if thats the case, i keep putting off booking it, dont want to fail, lol.

Thanks evil and simon 8)

5. Evilwheato

No problem. What I found help was to go through each of the objectives to make sure I understood it :)
    If you're getting 86% and above then you shouldn't have any troubles- good luck!

6. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Well Evil, requested my voucher for Essentials exam so hopefully book it sometime this week for the near future. Have you got or done A+ Evil?

7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Aim for 85% in practice exams

BTW I have heard bad things about the A+ for dummies book, it's supposed to crap but the sybex one should be fine.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Hi greenbruce, i do actually have to say the dummies book explained a few things a bit easier than sybex. I really need to get the Essentials exam out the way so i then feel like im actually getting somewhere as i kept stopping and starting. Fingers crossed soon.

9. greenbrucelee

There has been threads on here before were people have mentioned that they used the dummies book and failed big time.

Just so you know compTIA A+ all in one exam guide 6th edition by Mike Meyers is the best book for the A+. Mike Meyers is the leading authority on the compTIA A+ exams.

Also just to add PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles is also a very good book. James is an Admin on here under the name Tripewire45 his book is an exercise book that shows you how to do things that are on the A+ exams and are in the scope of a Technician with A+ credentials.

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You might believe that they're explaining things easier... but how do you know that they're even correct in what they say? Had a co-worker use A+ for Dummies and failed the exam... not once, but twice. Affected her so much, she stopped taking certification exams for two years. After a bit of prodding by me, she eventually purchased and studied the Meyers AIO book... and passed! She said the Meyers book made all the difference, and she would NOT recommend the Dummies book.

So... just a word of warning. I've not yet met one person who used that book to pass the A+ exam.

In addition to the Meyers book, I wholeheartedly recommend the Pyles book that GBL mentions.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. Evilwheato

I literally became certified this week :D
    I can also recommend the Meyers AIO and the Sybex book- both brilliant resources.

12. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Hi all- again.
    Just got freaked out- i read the begining of my sybex book and it says "you dont have to take the Core Hardware and Operating Systems exams at the same time - you have 90 days from passing the first test to pass the 2nd" Is this true?? This book covers 220-301 and 220-302, thinking of investing in the Myers cool all in 1. Anyone know the latest edition?
    Thanks
    Phil

13. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

That is well out-of-date!

Current Meyers is 6th edition.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  14. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Hi Harry, So is there a time span i must take the my 2nd choice of exam from the first? I think ill wander up the city and have a look for that book. Ive just been studying hardware with my other books.
    Phil

15. greenbrucelee

There is no such thing as core hardware 220-301 and 220-302 anymore your studying out of date materials.

The current exams are 220-601,220-602,220-603 and 220-604

220-601 is called essentials and is madatory and you choose one of the others most people choose IT technician which is 220-602.

16. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

Off up the city to go grab Mr Meyers. Is there a time span though between 601 and 602 technician exam or can i take say 5months to take the 2nd?
    Cheers Harry.

17. greenbrucelee

you can take aslong as you want but I do believe they maybe changing exam this year some point so you might want to visit compTIAs web site to find out

18. Phiggles

Phiggles Bit Poster

WAHOO, 3 bookshops later and i now have Mike Meyers 6th edition all in one. Looking through though i thought it may have been broke down a bit ,say into roughly the 4exam areas, i know there is some overlap in all of these. So i guess what im asking is do u read the entire book even thoug at the time maybe half the pages maybe relivent for Essentials exam.
    Thanks for all your pointers.
    Phil

19. Evilwheato

That is correct :) You can leave it as long as you want- but both exams have to be on the same objectives- 2009 comes out in June/Juy I think?

Yes, read through the whole book, then you can re-read the topics which you will need for the appropiate exams :D