A+ OS - Virtual PC

Discussion in 'A+' started by Coley, Dec 14, 2006.

1. Coley

Coley New Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm slowly managing to get through the A+ OS module but I currently have just Windows XP home.
    I've heard of using virtual PC to run different OS's but the Microsoft website says XP pro is needed to run it. Also when I have installed it, where can I get Windows 98, Me, 2000 etc to practice with??
    How is everybody else managing with this?

Certifications: BEng, A+, MCDST, MCSA 70-294
    WIP: CCNA * ITIL V3 * 70-648
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Best to try Ebay for the old operating systems. Sometimes they get pulled off the site if the seller is breaking copyright laws however there are still some sellers that are legitimately selling unused operating systems.

I bought Windows NT (for £3) as this was the only Windows OS I hadn’t used on my own PC over the years. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've managed to build up quite a collection of OSes. However, I can see where it would be difficult to get them if you haven't been into computers for a long time.

The eBay suggestion is a good one - just beware of software that's not legit. That being said, it's hard to tell the honest folks from the scammers.

You can sometimes find old, used PCs complete with OS for cheap.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

you should be able to get trial versions (30 days) of MS OS's... not sure bout 98 though...