A+ OS Exam

Discussion in 'A+' started by hodge, Jan 8, 2007.

1. hodge

hodge Bit Poster

Hello all!

I am due to be taking the OS exam in the next couple of weeks. I am wondering if there is anyone who has taken it recently, and if they could tell me the topics that were covered in the exam, as I have been told that CompTIA are putting in quite a few 'ethical' questions in the 2003 exam, to get some information on how to set the new exams?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am banging my head against a wall and it's starting to hurt!! :rolleyes:

Thankyou!

Certifications: CompTia A+
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hi Hodge, welcome to CF.

What study material are you using? All the objectives for the 2003 exams are the same as ever. What CompTIA are doing at the moment (last time I checked anyway) is posing 100 questions instead of the usual 80. The extra 20 are the beta questions for the new objectives (such as ethical practices etc.) and are ungraded so don't trouble yourself with learning them, you have enough to worrry about remembering the graded material.

You should be able to spot most of the beta questions and know not to waste too much time on them in the actual exam.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. hodge

hodge Bit Poster

I am using a Mike Meyers DVD which is very helpfull, and a GTS Learning text book from the company I am training with, which is very confusing. Think i'll stick to the DVD as I was able to pass the hardware part after learning from it!

I also attend workshop days with the company, and the lecturer advised us to sign up on here, and try and find out which sort of questions have been coming up recently, ie: Installation, networking etc.

Certifications: CompTia A+
    WIP: MCDST
  4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello Hodge,

Have to agree with Baba on this, just make sure you're happy with the CompTIA objectives and don't worry about things that may not happen.

Goodluck with your studies & exams :thumbleft

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  5. chedylan

chedylan New Member

hiya

took it today and failed by 2 questions i think!:(

there were alot of network questions at the start i didnt feel too comfortable with. some questions from the hardware exam and about 10 or so 'ethical' quesitons. Most of these r commonsense really, but a couple seemd totally open ended to me.like:

u r a tech in a store and u see a customer service adviser being unhelpful to a customer , do u:

a:aproach the CSA and tell him off
    b:wait til customer leaves and question the CSA
    c:aproach boht the customer and CSA and ask if u can help
    d:speak to ur superior about the CSA

well i didnt study that one!!! i picked c, but could be d,
    infact i guess d is right , 'learn to be a f==king grass'

thanks comptia

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I probably would have chosen C.

CompTIA has been notorious for having questions that are poorly worded, have several (or NO) answers that are correct, or containing "best practices" that are questionable, in my opinion. That said, there aren't enough of those in there to make a huge impact on your score. If you know the material well enough, you will pass. At this point, you should study the sections where you were weak and give it another go as soon as possible.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!