A+ OS exam Help Needed

Discussion in 'A+' started by Professor-Falken, Nov 19, 2006.

1. Professor-Falken

Professor-Falken Kilobyte Poster

Here is a question I could not find an answer to and I dont think was covered in the Mike Meyers book. Is installing from a disk image covered in the Mike Meyers book. If not does anyone know where I can read about it?

An A+ Professional is installing Windows XP Professional on a computer using a disk image from another Windows XP Professional computer. After installing the disk image, which maintenance activity must be performed the computer can sucessfully boot?

Repair the the Windows XP installation
    Reinstall the Windows XP installation
    Boot up in Safe Mode, and run the sys c: command.
    Boot up to the command prompt, and run the winnt32.exe
    command.

Answer:
    Repair the Windows XP installation

Explanation:

Repairing the Windows XP installation is the maintenance activity that must be carried out before the computer can successfully boot. The repair step will redetect the hardware and tune the installation to match the specific hardware in the computer. When installing using a disk image, you may recieve an NTLDR is missing error message if you have not repaired the installation. This is because the original NTLDR file may point to an invalid boot device.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia Network +
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

From memory the MM book doesn’t cover this topic.

I didn’t know the answer myself but if you look at the feasible answers you can make an educated guess.

a) Repair the installation = feasible
    b) Reinstall the installation = seems pointless as we are using imaging to save time
    c) Sys c (copies system files from other drive) = what drive?
    d) You should know what this exe does from your other post

I think if you look at questions in this way you will be fine for the A+. When I was doing the A+ there was many questions that were to the point. For example, “What is the IRQ of a SCSI controller?”. There is no debate over that so I would select whatever I thought the right IRQ was.

In regard to the question you have posted I would go through each suggested answer and try to come to a conclusion by weighing up the answers. It’s not always obvious what the answer is but if you know what the incorrect answers are then that also helps. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

I agree with Sparky on that one!

It has to be Repair the the Windows XP installation. I have just looked through all the mike meyers books and I can't find a question like the one stated above but there is a section on Image Installation- regarding Nortons Ghost p219

operating systems by mike meyers isbn0072231246

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  4. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

The explanation is correct and applying Sparky's logic you would be fine. However I think you would need to understand how NTLDR is used in the start-up sequence of XP to realise why the answer is correct.

NTLDR, along with other boot files, collects information about the hardware configuration on a computer during the boot sequence. This info is stored in the registry and is used during the next start up sequence. It is also used to for the Last Known Good Configuration option to revert back to the previous hardware configuration before changes were stored in the registry (after log on).

Now, if you take a disc image of XP running on an AMD motherboard and CPU and put it on a system using Intel motherboard and CPU, the OS is going to have the registry configured for AMD. This will include which drivers to use, which partition to boot from etc, etc.

By simply running the disc image you will cause conflict between the stored hardware configuration and what is physically there in the pc. By repairing the installation, XP gathers all the hardware configuaration from scratch and configures the boot files to match the new hardware as well (Boot.ini is a good example as it stores info about hard discs, their partitions and installed operating systems).

There is obviously a lot more to say about this but I don't think you need to be bogged down with the details of the XP startup sequence just now.

Hope this helps

Paul

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just to add a bit..

If the disk image which will contain configuration entries in the registry and drivers for the original hardware is installed on a PC with the same hardware then there would be no need for doing a repair install.

But, if the hardware is *different* then you need to get XP to recognise and configure the new hardware. By doing a *repair* you are forcing XP to detect and configure all the new hardware (plug and play devices).

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In addition, if the hardware is sufficiently different then the image may not boot at all. :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Yes I think that the HAL has to be the same.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)