A+ or PC Maitenance and Repair

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by dslule, Nov 26, 2004.

1. dslule

dslule New Member

Dear People,
    Is there a difference between the above two?
    Would somebody please recommend an online tuition provider. :( :dry

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings dslule. Welcome to Certtutor. I'm not sure I can answer your question but I'll give it a go. The A+ certification is a vendor neutral certification administered by CompTIA. You can find out more about them at www.comptia.org. PC Maintenence and Repair sounds like it's some sort of class about the nuts of bolts behind the A+. The A+ cert is to...well, "certify" that a person passing their two tests (Hardware and OS) is qualified to provide basic computer repair and maintenence services. Usually this person has a skill set equal to a tech with about 6 months experience in the field.

If you could provide more of the background behind your question, we might be able to come up with a more accurate answer to your query.

As far as tuition providers, I haven't a clue. I'm in the US and don't have experience with the training providers in the UK or elsewhere. Fear not. Someone will be along presently to give you a hand. Hope you are enjoying the resources available on the site. Glad you found the place.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Welcome aboard...just in case it was me who introduced our new friend dslule here. the question was first asked in the PC Advisor forum so I just directed them here...glad you could make it and from what trip has written what I would have said...but trust me you're in safe hands in this forum...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

haha trip always does that :)
    lol

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. MrNice

MrNice Kilobyte Poster

Hi dude,

Is this PC maintenance and repair a course at college or something? If so what do you get at the end of it? The A+ is PC maintenance and repair. Two exams covering both hardware and software. It's basically a foundation IT qualification which demonstrates you have a good basic knowledge of the PC and it's operating system. I would strongly recommend you buy a decent A+ training book and read the whole thing, It may cost you £60 but if you dont like it etc you lose £60, an online training provider will only sign you up, take at least £500 out your back pocket and then send you said book and tell you to do the same. If you find you need help with your studies ask here, I would be amazed if you actually needed a training provider. As for your original question they sound very similar but A+ is an internationally recognised qualification.

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome to CertForums Sheesh...I can't believe I did that again. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi, and welcome :D

That was Tripwire45. This is CertForums.

A+ exam. 1 book. Mike Meyers.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CertForums, good to see you here.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  10. Firthy2002

Firthy2002 Byte Poster

Welcome to CertForums!

Certifications: None currently
    WIP: CompTIA A+ & Network+
  11. matt_lambert44

matt_lambert44 New Member

Hi ppl. Just a small question. If i was to buy the book by Mike Meyers and read the whole lot, is there a way of taking an exam without having to go thru the whole course first???
    Stupid question me thinks??? :rolleyes:

WIP: Any in PC Repair
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

By the sounds of it the course is based on the A+ sylibus....

Yes, if you buy the Mike Myers All in One book then you will be on track to getting A+ certified. I would also suggest one or two Pc's to play ideally with 98, 2000 and XP too!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  13. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  14. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF, as you can see Trip is only let loose once in a blue moon and look what happens when he does. :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009