A+ or not?

Discussion in 'A+' started by bossa, Jul 10, 2007.

1. bossa

bossa Bit Poster

Hi all
    Been a few weeks since I was here .Previously I was all fired up to go for self study A+ with the aim of either getting employment or going out on my own. Unfortunately everything was put on hold.
    I have the opportunity to get onto a A+ course (approx 3 months, subject to an assessment) at a college for the long term unemployed with a disabilities ( this could mean from a back problem to wheel chair bound. Allsorts). After talking to one of the lecturers on the course on the phone I am a bit confused to what to do. Basically what he was saying was Maybe I should try and get a job with an agency and see how I go or advertise to fix peoples PC's and then build up like that rather than getting the A+.They currently offer City and Guilds 4324-01/02/03 NVQ level1/2/3 and A+ & Network+ to suitable candidates.He did also say to approach some employers and ask them if I was to get and A+ cert would they be prepared to take me on.
    Now I have been going on the basis that if I had a certificate I would have something to show either a prospective employer or customer. Also the courses would be funded which would be great at the moment. The college is a way from where I live but there is the option to be residential (which I dont fancy) and may travel to it.
    Any advice will be greatly appreciated as I'm in a real quandary about what to do.
    Thanks Steve

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Is this course free?

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Many here usualy suggest home study, but that is partly because of the high cost of courses normaly. If you can get the course paid for then I would say go for it.

You will need to do your own reading, but will benefit from the lecturers experience (which I hope he has. I've seen some lecturers though.... :biggrin )

He seems to have been offering slightly contradictory advise there, on one hand suggesting you got a job first, on the other suggesting you ask prospective employers if they would yake you *after* you got your A+!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. bossa

bossa Bit Poster

Yes the course will be free and yes it seems a contradictory with what he is saying and I guess thats what confused me . There are two lecturers the guy I spoke said he worked for many years in the City for different firms.
    This is the collegewww.qef.org