A+ or MCDST?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by dancewithlife, Aug 20, 2007.

1. dancewithlife

dancewithlife New Member

Hi all
    Hope you can give me some advice as I am really confused as what to study for.

Originally I was looking at MCDST and then read lots of advice on here and came to the conclusion that maybe I was thinking wrong and should do the A+.

I have looked at the objectives for the A+ and thought this was the way I was going to go with self study but working through the objectives realized that my interest would be more for working and managing a windows environment.

To do the MCDST do you have to have a great understanding of everything covered in the A+?

I thought I was set with what I was doing and just about to order the books and get started but now I am not sure.

Help Please:(

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

If you *really* only want to do Windows stuff - and never anything else (including opening the box) then MCDST may be for you.

I still think that A+ is a better foundation though. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Both are great, but I'd recommend starting with the A+. When you're done, go for the MCDST. Why do only one? Do both!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with whats been said. If you are interested in hardware as much as OS then do the A+ and MCDST. Both are great certs to start with.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

A+ will give you a good grounding in IT.
    Then follow it up with MCSDT if you want to.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Whichever environment you work in you will have to deal with hardware and different OS's. The A+ would really help you with this as well as Network+. If you do the MCDST after this you will be a reasonably well rounded tech able to deal with almost any problem.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Yep I'll add my support the whats already been said. The A+ gives you the understanding from the ground up which will aid your MCDST study and more importantly troubleshooting once you're in the industry.

I'm also looking to study the MCDST in future but decided to start with a good level of understanding doing the A+ & N+. Once you know the basics it's easier to add more details to the basic concepts than trying to learn from stratch. Did that make sense? :confused3

Either way don't limit yourself. The more you learn you may find your real interest lies in Networking or some other field...

Good luck in what ever you decide

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  8. NenMaster

NenMaster Bit Poster

i was originally studying for my A+ stopped for a few months. I am now working as a It Assistant, and in my opinion i may as well do the MCDST cause I've looked at the course modules and its what i will be doing.

I will probably go back to A+ after the MCDST but at the moment it will be beneficial to do the MCDST as i can use what i learn in my job. A+ wouldn't.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Core And OS
  9. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

If you are not working in IT and you no IT experience then do A+ first and maybe Network+ as well before MCDST.

You will find that you will need the knowledge from these to help you in the MCDST.

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK
  10. BosonMichael

If you think the A+ won't be helpful, then you're fooling yourself. The A+ covers many fundamentals that can be carried onward to all levels of desktop and (believe it or not) network support.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  11. NenMaster

NenMaster Bit Poster

i didnt say it wouldnt be helpful, but looking at the modules in the a+ and in the mcdst, the mcdst will be more useful for someone who is working as a IT Assistant. Like i said, i will probabally go back to A+ once i have completed the mcdst.

Certifications: None
    WIP: A+ Core And OS
  12. BosonMichael

You said,

That's what I disagree with. A+ would, in fact, be useful/beneficial in your current job. If you don't think so, then you don't know what you're missing.