A+ Online

Discussion in 'A+' started by billy bottom, Jul 10, 2005.

1. billy bottom

billy bottom Bit Poster

Hi there,

I'm thinking of ordering the Mike Myers books on A+ and Network+, but before I splash out on the £60 or so I just wondered if any of you guys could direct me to an internet site that might give me an online tutorial. Don't worry, I'm not after a complete on-line tutorial or anything, just want a sample to know it's something I can (and want to) do.

Also, I've been looking for jobs on sites like monster and jobsite that having the A+ and Network+ might lead to, but I can't seem to find any. What kind of job titles should I be keeping an eye out for?

Thanks,

Billy

2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Billy,

Take a look here
    for a taster of A+.

I have seen A+ and Network+ being asked for now and again for job spec. It usually says "they are a bonus".

Let us know how you get on.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

I'm discovering that experience gets you in the door, certifications are just a bonus.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  4. billy bottom

billy bottom Bit Poster

thanks guys,

so, say I buy the CD Bundle offered here:

http://www.sandline-training.co.uk/Products/CompTIA-A-plus-Certification.htm

and then i buy the mike myers A+ book.

is there anything else i need to buy? oh, and what's this thing about vouchers and expiry dates?

seeing as my job (and experience so far) have nothing to do with computers, at what point would you reccomend applying for relevant jobs? halfway through the A+ course? do you think this qualification alone will be enough to allow me to get my foot in the door and then get some experience?

crikey, that's a lot of questions. thanks for all your help,

billy

5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Billy,

Some people would say that the Mike Myers book is all you need. I was learning about computers at the same time as learning for an exam so i got video training as well. I found this a blessing.

As far as jobs are concerned as soon as you start getting familiar with all the day to day tasks of maintaining PC's offer your services to friends and family to get experience.

There is a lot of posts recently about "getting on the ladder". I am under no illusion- getting on the ladder isn't going to be easy but I feel the wait will be worth it :D

I wouldn't worry about booking the exam until you feel ready and can consistantly acheive 80% or higher on 3 consecutive goes on the practice tests. At £100 each exam you want to pass first time! The Pearson tests centres only need 24 hours notice.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Well there are two exam providers out there, Thompson Prometric, and Pearson VUE. You can register with each online and pay for your exam's via their websites.

On the other hand, there are exam vouchers that various companies sell. Sometimes they are for a specific exam with a specific provider eg. An A+ Hardware exam voucher for use with Pearson VUE. Also vouchers usually have an expiry date, if you don't use them before the date, they are useless. A voucher is really just a code that you put into either Prometric's or VUE's website when booking an exam, which then pays for the exam.

Also, if you buy a voucher from an online retailer, be sure that you get one that is valid in your part of the world. Some vouchers are only valid in the USA & Canada, some in Europe.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  7. Sarah

Sarah Byte Poster

I would reccomend:

+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide
    Author(s): Michael Meyers

Written by Mike Meyers, the industry leader in A+ certification training, this authoritative reference offers complete coverage of all material on the A+ Core Hardware and Operating System Technologies exams. You’ll find exam objectives at the beginning of each chapter, helpful exam tips, end-of-chapter practice questions, and photographs and illustrations. The bonus CD-ROM contains a testing engine with questions found only on the CD. This comprehensive guide not only helps you pass this challenging exam, but will also serve as an invaluable on-the-job reference.

The book and the testing engine is excelent for the A+ study. It's sold @ £25

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

There's a "resources" thread pinned to the top of the A+ forum that includes Meyers All-In-One study guide. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+