A nice little earner?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by delorean, Apr 16, 2008.

1. delorean

delorean Megabyte Poster

I was pondering this the other day, when Microsoft officially withdraws Windows XP from store shelves and OEM on June 30th do you think we'll suddenly see a surge of (for example) eBay auctions and classifieds offering XP keys at sky high prices?

Just a thought. Might want to start bulk ordering those XP packs pronto! :whatthink

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: 70-680, S+, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  2. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I doubt it...
    Doesn't that just mean you can't buy the XP software? People/companies using XP and deciding not to go Vista already have XP.

The Vista licenses are backwards compatible. We buy Vista licenses, but they're valid for our XP workstations.

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That means you can no longer buy XP keys. Ya sorta need those...

SOME Vista products have downgrade rights. Others don't. Still, downgrade rights don't help you if you don't have an XP key to activate XP. ;) Some people don't have that.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Although I never looked deeply into it, I thought the Vista keys worked on the XP software.
    News to me.
    I thought Vista products were valid for the XP equivalent.

Oh well – thanks for the heads up. :)

5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope. You have to get a valid XP key, then call Microsoft to put in that XP code and your Vista code, then they'll either let you use that other XP key, or they'll spit out a new XP key for you - not sure which way, haven't ever had to do it.

Google the terms Vista and "downgrade rights". :)

According to Microsoft, only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate can be downgraded to XP. Check those same Google terms. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!