A new kind of ISP

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Oct 13, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

WoW! I have to say these guys are a breath of fresh air after all the ISP's I have seen. No misleading statements as to bandwidth, no user caps, no throttling, no explicitly denying a subscriber the right to share his connection, etc...

From an ars technica article:

You can read the rest of the article on this new Canadian company here.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Give it time...they will soon turn around and become evil...they all do...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. ffreeloader

Well, there's a voice of hope and cheer. Good thing you aren't completely cynical..... :blink :(

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I've heard of this concept before, by the editor of PC Pro I believe. To be honest I have absolutley no problem with it... provided that the public wireless is completely separated from my own network, and I am not liable for the actions and/or material downloaded using the public point. Oh, and my network gets priority on the bandwidth, so that the public link only uses what Im NOT using.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

This looks interesting, I am curious to see how it will turn out.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Come on, Freddy - you aren't entirely without cynicism yourself :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. ffreeloader

Who said I was? Certainly not me. :)

I just don't think my cynicism extends to looking at two guys trying to do a good thing, putting their own labor into something and getting nothing in return, and expecting them to turn evil because "they all" do. That's a level of cynicism I hope to never reach. The day I become that way you have my permission to just take me out and shoot me. I don't believe I'll be any good to anyone. I certainly won't have any fun or joy in life by that time. :rolleyes:

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

No no, Freddy - I wasn't saying that you were cynical of those chaps' efforts .. more that you were being cynical about NoelG's cynicism of your initial post. Important difference.

I'll leave it to you and NoelG to sort out your respective cynicisms :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. ffreeloader

I guess I missed your point, and still do. I haven't a clue as to what you're talking about. How was I cynical about Noel's cynicism? I was a little sarcastic in my reply to him, but certainly not cynical, at least not in my mind.