1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a+ & n+ package

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by cosmique, Jun 28, 2006.

1. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

Dear CF Crew

like i have written in my previous post after weeks of research i think i have finally found a perfect package for the start of my IT education

London College is offering A+ and N+ part-time, 16 weeks package with hands on, exams fees etc etc for 1050 pounds.

at first i was considering selfstudying for a+ exams, and later taking a loan for MCSE course, but at half price of that i can get a package almost as good as that one.

n+ and a+ cost 850 alone so it looks like an absolute bargain

one question emerges:
    is there a huge difference between n+ and mcse or mcsa?
    (recognition, difficulty etc)

thanks

Tom

Certifications: none
    WIP: a+, n+, mcsa hopefully!
  2. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Too much to go into. A+ and N+ are basic, entry level certs. An MCSE is a few years work for most people and an MCSA is somewhere in between.

Do you mean it would cose £850 to do an A+ and N+ via self-study? If so, someones been telling porky pies. I reckon mo more than £300 for the two, that's a few of books for each and one crack at each exam.

See my response to your other post here.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  3. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

thanks for you answer

no, they cost £850 when doing them in college, part time. hands-on, books, exams all inclusive
    £1050 when youy decide to do them together

as i think i would have no trouble at all selfstudying for a+ and passing it, the n+ is a problem for me as i havent got few computers to create a network and practice on. i would prefer using someone else's lab.
    and since its only £200 for a+ to go with it why not?
    i may be wrong of course. this is all very confusing :)

i found it. thanks :)

4. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

You could buy a couple of cheap PCs for £50 - £100 each or get a copy of VMWare or Virtual Server for around £100. I haven't used Virtual Server but VMWare is the dogs.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I would say that is a good deal for a training provider. There are pro's and con's of both types of study but i have to say for some things you can't beat sitting in a classroom with an instructor who *knows his onions*.

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  6. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

only 2 replies?

come on peeps, when it comes to scoring another post writing "hi, welcome to..." everyone's eager, but when some confused fellow's looking for help, silence? :rolleyes:

i just want you to saywhat you think about this offer.
    or have you all self-studied to n+ ?
    if i could find n+ course for around £500 i would do a+ alone, but since to my knowledge n+ costs £850 i thought why not doing them together for £1050 then.

come on peeps. help

i cant set up my own network at home, cause im sharing a house with other tenants, and my room aint that big :oops:

thanx Baba and Boyce for replies!

7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Cos,

Sorry that you feel *left out* but this type of question has been asked loads of times; it is a good starter question.
    Zimbo has posted a sticky with links for A+, N+ and MS certs too.
    My personal opinion is if you do want classroom based training, you are going to struggle to beat this offer. The fact that it is a local educational college means that it is a well proven site; most of them have loads of happy current/x students.

Hope this helps.

Simon

8. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

Yeah, what do you want to hear? I think most everyone will suggest doing the self study route. To think that 850 pounds is a bargain is total BS. I just recently bought a good P3 to add to my lab for 80 quid, w/17" monitor.

Just buy a couple PCs and books, and you'll see what a "bargain" truly is. You don't need a teacher. The books will teach you, and you can ask any q's on websites like this one.

I thought I needed a teacher when I first started, I thought I needed guidance etc, but I've realized that it's totally unnecessary. I paid a crapload more than you for MCSE + more courses, but I don't even attend classes anymore, I don't go there for anything else other than to pick up exam vouchers, because self study is just so much better.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I think some people want or need a teacher and in all honesty won't find A+,N+ with any of the IT only providers for that.
    As for the price, then, yes, £850 buys a lot of books..

10. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Cats - otherwise known as rapid results are offering A+ class room based, course for £499 special offerClick Here

Monkey

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  11. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

That 17" monitor is it a CRT or TFT?

Also, lets face it to do self study takes guts, determination, organisation skills.

Most people can't study alone and need people interaction, such as a class room environment! :biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  12. Boycie
    Honorary Member

I used CATS for my A+ and can recommend them for classroom or home study Video CD Roms.

13. cosmique

cosmique Bit Poster

thanks for all replies. the problem is i cant set up any network in my room cause its simply too small so i think i'll beef up my comp and setup virtual machines and self study.

the requirements for n+ lok a bit scary that's where i thought i might need a teacher, but i'll give it a go.

i was just being confused. thanks again

14. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+