A+ must haves.............

Discussion in 'A+' started by PBC, Oct 23, 2007.

1. PBC

PBC New Member

Hello all,

New here, please forgive me if this has been done to death!

I am looking at self study A+, with a view to working from home as PC repairs etc, working with home PC's and small companies.

I see from forum that A+, N+ is the way to go.

I have a spare PC, which is the best OS to run for A+..........XP, XP Pro, Win 2000?

Other than books, PC etc what else would be handy to have to get studying.

Are there any sites where I can test my current knowledge out to see what I know already now?

I found this site

http://www.itlearneasy.com/html/acertification.html

A+ is just shy of :eek: £1,000 :eek:

Would be very pleased with any help with getting started.

Thanks

2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

To get started, buy Mike Meyers A+ AIO, Sixth Edition, and read it from cover to cover. You dont need to spend £1000 for that and im sure you'll progress well if you have the motivaton to do it. I'd go for Win XP Prof on the PC, although the A+ tests on Windows 2000 as well, I wouldn't say its essential to have it running on your PC, I didnt and had no problems.

I'd also recommend Transcender practice tests, although pricey, they are excellent and highlight your weak areas so you can concentrate on them. I wouldn't bother taking any tests until you feel ready for the exam though, you won't gain anything from it!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi welcome

As mentioned you don't need a course.

A spare pc with windows xp pro on it will do, as for reading material you need the comptia A+ all in one exam guide by Mike Meyers 6th edition

Another good book is PC Technician streets smarts by James Pyles (tripwire45 on this forum).

Once you have gone through the books and understand the material book the exams with http://www.pearsonvue.co.uk/home/ or http://www.prometric.com/default.htm depending which is nearest you

You need to pass two exams to become A+ certified the 220-601 (Essentials) is mandatory then you choose either 220-602, 220-603 or 220-604. The 603 and 604 are not normally done unless you are looking at remote support its normally the 602 to be CompTIA A+ certified technician.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Hello & welcome

Yeah all good advise given so far, if you can self study you'll be looking at alot less the a grant a few hundred at most.

Good luck with your studies, don't be shy if you have a question....ask away.

Dont forget to introduce yourself in the new members section:biggrin.

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, you'll do well going the self-study route! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Spilly

Spilly Kilobyte Poster

My A+ was my most expensive at around £130, mainly spent on books & exam simulators.

Self study will save you fortune!

Certifications: A+,N+,S+,MCP,MCDST,MCITP,MCTS,MCSA,CISMP,PCI-P,SSCP
    WIP: CCSK