A most amazing Englishman

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by ffreeloader, Nov 21, 2007.

1. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

william wilberforce

he abolished the slave trade. more clues please

Certifications: city & guilds engineering
    WIP: comptia a+ n+/ linux+
  2. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

guy fawkes?

3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

We have a winner.

I had never heard of William Wilberforce despite his tremendous contributions to English history and English society as a whole. This man completely changed the foundation of the British Empire and its economy in one lifetime, and that is quite an accomplishment. He was a tremendous force for good.

The movie is Amazing Grace. I've seen it panned as a B rated movie, but I loved it as the story is fascinating, and it shows just how much a man can accomplish when he fights for something that is just, good, and right.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

why thank you

i actually know something of historical importance.:p:p:p8)

5. ffreeloader

LOL. Yeah, William Wilberforce is very important historically. I'm pretty amazed at how quickly this thread died. I thought people would be at least mildly interested in the main character involved in abolishing something as despicable as slavery. Who he was, what he did, has a major impact in every aspect of every British citizen's life, as does what Abraham Lincoln did on all US citizens.

Slavery was only one aspect of what he did to improve his country. He helped the areas of political reform to reduce corruption, education, the RSPCA, teaching the commoners about personal hygiene and its necessity, and more.

I love what one of his contemporaries said about him after watching him at work in the House of Commons. ""I saw what seemed a mere shrimp mount upon the table; but as I listened, he grew, and grew, until the shrimp became a whale." This was a truly remarkable man. If I were an Englishman I would be just as proud of him and his accomplishments as I am of Abraham Lincoln as an American.

Just think about it. He was an honest politician. How rare and how noteworthy is that?

6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

I'm rather embarrassed to say I've never heard of him before.

7. ffreeloader

Here are a few tidbits to make you feel a little worse. :twisted:

He is buried in Westminster Abbey next to William Pitt.

There are monuments to him in several places in England. One is over 100 feet tall.

The Queen placed wreath on his grave in celebrating the abolishing of slavery this year.

To tell the truth he has become quite obscure. I've read accounts of William Pitt's life and he wasn't a character that I even remember, yet he was a close friend of Pitt's.

8. ffreeloader

The movie is very good. It's quite a story and well worth watching. It's one I will definitely watch more than once.

9. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

You use the word amazing several times, a recent film called Amazing Grace starring Ioan Gruffudd was about William Wilberforce and his struggle to get the slave trade abolished, am i right or a million miles away?

Certifications: A+
  10. robbo1962

robbo1962 Byte Poster

:oops: Just seen that someone answered before me, got it from the cryptic clues though honest.

Certifications: A+
  11. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

wish you'd have said that earlier i could have popped accross the road and checked :)

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  12. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I have heard of him, certainly his name was familiar to me, but I couldn't have said what he did.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  13. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hmm. Guy Fawkes also entered Parliament with an honest intention. :biggrin

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  14. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

[claim to fame] One of my ancient ancestors was part of the Gunpowder plot [/claim to fame]

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
  15. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

you ever thought about finishing his work ? :D

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  16. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That's a very leading question, are you wearing a wire? :)

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I loved that movie. Our church offered several of us an advance showing at a theater, and it was great. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!