a+ mock exams and study help

Discussion in 'A+' started by shadowwebs, Nov 21, 2011.

1. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

Good Morning

I studied the A+ at Leicester College earlier this year, I have been studying at home since every now and again but unfortunately I have not been very focused as life is so busy that I just do not have time to put in the time.

I have downloaded an audio version of the A+ which I am going to start listening to on my iPod on the way to or from work...

Can anyone help me with my studying as I want to get the exams passed as soon as possible... I have got an exam voucher and would like to get the exam booked soon.

I have taken some mock exams and am getting 67% as my average pass rate so far.

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Morning Shadowwebs,

Unfortunately I'm not sure what we can do to help you with the A+, you just need to read the book/listen to the audio and/or perhaps take a PC apart to get more hands on experience.

The longer it takes you, the harder it will be to keep the information fresh to sit the exam. You should set yourself a schedule to read a chapter or listen to 30minutes etc.

Most of us have work, bills to pay, house duties and kids to fuss. If you can't find the time to learn then IT isn't going to be the sector for you.

You're at the start of a career, IT is forever changing and you will always need to learn a new technology or process.

That being said, if you're determined IT is the career path for you. Turn off the TV of an evening, read the book. If you're traveling or doing house work, switch on the audiobook. Look at what you're doing any whether you can change it.

If you're finding yourself bored with a specific method of learning, switch it up. Visit Professor Messer's website and watch a video, or get a PC apart and see what you can identify.

Don't take mock exams until you're confident. Use them as a way to identify where your weak area is. From there, go back and revisit that chapter.

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

After all that, if you have any specific questions which you can't answer from the book or google, ask on here. We're all here to try and help 8)

4. shadowwebs

Thanks for the advice... I have been working in IT for a number of years now, different sectors though and mostly as 1st line support so has mostly been procedure's to follow and when I get the opportunity then I take the chance to dig in for more advanced areas I can help out in.

I decided to take on the A+ as my first cert to go for, was this a good idea?

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Yes definitely.

You could skip it, but why miss out on the fundamental knowledge of hardware and software?

I'm in exactly the same position as you, been in IT for 3 years and only just started looking at certification. A+ is definitely worth it.

6. shadowwebs

Good to talk to someone on the same square as myself as there are a lot of people out there that already have every certification ever created.

What are you using to study in terms or books / audio etc

7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I've bought 5 different books but would really recommend the Mike Meyers All-In-One (7th Edition). Its got a load of knowledge and is a really good read.

If you think you know a lot of it already, you could get his passport version. It pretty much strips out all the background of the computer but keeps in enough for the CompTIA exam.

8. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

9. shadowwebs

I have booked my exam for 12th December at 5.30pm for the 220-701 exam and will then do the 220-702 after that.

I have came down with flu and an ear infection at the minute so am very much going through the wars so will try and get some study time in if I can as I am currently off work.

It might seem silly to book an exam before I feel I am ready... but this way, I have got 3 weeks to get some heavy studying in and hopefully pass. Do you think 3 weeks is cutting it short?

10. shadowwebs

also... I have just heard that the comptia A+ exam is to be re-created in 2012, which is only a couple of months away.

when I finished college in July of this year, I was told that I get up to 2 years to take the exam... but if a new course objective is coming out, does this mean I will already be out of date?

11. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

3 weeks is more than enough time if you study hard and focus. Try not to book the 702 exam too much later as they're basically the same content (but more practical then theory).

Yes there will be a 2012 exam change but it hasn't been announced yet. The content should generally be the same anyway, except a few minor tweaks and perhaps more focus on some of the newer technologies.

Good luck, keep us updated 8)

12. shadowwebs

How far in to your A+ are you with studies? ... as in, when did you start

13. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

I started several times this year, but its been a busy one (new job, house and wife)

So I'm pretty much ready to sit the exam but I'm broke until Jan/Feb next year 8)

14. shadowwebs

How are you finding having to memorize all the numbers of hz and watts vs ohms