A minor rant

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by simongrahamuk, Jan 2, 2006.

1. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I just wanted to have a minor rant.

Spoke to a friend of mine who I used to work with earlier today, and I have to say that the respect I held for him and my former employer has gone right out of the window.

We got on to talking about Certs and what I was upto at the minute, saying that he had completed his MCSE and was looking to upgrade it in the future. I told him that I wasn't doing any certs at the minute, and asked how he found the last few exams for his MCSE.

His response, "easy, I just braindumped them"!

This got me well p***ed off because I used to work with this guy and he was going through the same exams as me when I was doing certs, we never would have braindumped then.

It now seems though that the company I used to work for actively supports dumping inorder to keep it's accredications.

I also got even further annoyed to hear that he got a HUGE pay rise for getting the MCSE.

Don't get me wrong, I know the guys who work for the company all know their stuff, but I'm just really annoyed to discover that they are so well certified through dumping. I respected these guys.

In a way it makes me glad that I no longer work for them, and that I am out of the race of having to stay certified to stay employed.

:mad

Anyway, rant over.

Good Luck to those who are studying for the right reason - to learn.

8)

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

now thats unfair...but sorry to be a pain Si...what is braindumping? never heard of it before...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

4. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

OK just had a quick whiz thru that...sounds rather dodgy...will have a better look at it tonite when I get home from work....thanks...

5. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

i know how you feel. they totally suck.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I know it's bad.

I hate to go all Budda on you, but my wife and I are always having these sorts of conversations.
    Can you do anything about the situation?
    Sure, you could report the person to Microsoft or the testing centre, but do you really think they'll do anything?
    Why have we got MP's who take drugs, and rich stars who are paedophiles (spellcheck).
    The world is an untidy place.

I'm not saying you have to accept it, I'm just saying the only person you can do anything about is you.

You could report this person, you could hate them, envy them, but who is the one being negative? You will feel bitter or guilty, and they will sail on completely unaware of your feelings.

Who is the better person right now?
    You are.

Be comfortable with that.
    It all comes out in the wash somewhere down the line.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  7. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

well put Jonny...i second that...but still very unfair tho!!

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Excellently said Jonny.

You're right, I could report him, but why? Do I expect anything will come out of it? No.

Do I want to hurt this person to a point where he could conceiveably (sp?) loose his job? No, because regardless of what he has done he is the person who must live with himself.

He is also a friend of mine, who away from IT is a nice person. he's simply lost some of the respect I had for him.

Like I said though, I just wanted to let off steam! :ohmy

10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I'm just curious, Simon - did you questions the guy about his reasons or ethics behind what he did ?

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Yeah, I asked him.

His answer was simple, because others had done it. He even said where he got the dumps from - passed onto him from another ex colleague of mine.

To be honest, after thinking about it, I'm not all that suprised that he (and others) resorted to dumping. When I was made redundant by them they told those that they kept on that they must have X, Y, Z certifications in order to keep thier jobs. I think this is where it has come from.

:dry

12. binbox

binbox Nibble Poster

These days it seems to be the norm there are alot of Companies out there selling 2-3 day courses with guaranteed passes and charging ridiculous prices, when all they are doing is teaching the answers to the most commonly asked questions in parrot fashion to their students.

Not only does this boil the blood for genuine hardworking people it also leaves it's stain on the industry, with companies taking on staff that are not competant to do the job.

I am originally an mechanical engineer by trade but due to long term ill health I have to look again at my career path, but the same skills apply to IT you must have a firm grasp of what you are talking about to be able progress.

WIP: A+ N+ SECURITY+ SERVER+
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

At some point your friend will be in a situation where he will be way out his depth and will regret taking the braindump route to getting his MCSE. Also in regard to the pay rise did he tell you about that? If so I’m sure he has added a few extra quid onto what the real pay rise actually was! :tune

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

Some of the guys I work with resort to Te*****gs to help pass exams, and i find it a bit out of order, however as Simon has said, there is generally a bit of reasoning behind it in companys that require accreditation, not that I am justifying it, but as he said about his friend, all of the guys I work with know thier stuff inside and out, but couldnt neccisarily pass an exam on the stuff, same way a networking guy with 10 years experiance is likely to fail a Cisco exam without proper study, the MS and Cisco way of doing things are not neccisarily the REAL world way of doing it

whilst I dont admire the use of dumps, and would not use them myself, I can see the reasoning some use, especially employed IT folks with the experiance already to hand, let me state again, this is not a justification, just some reasoning, braindumpers wont get any kudos from me. ever

its not the first place I have been thats like that though, and I was at one place that the training providor actually supplied them to the guys, and these were people actually learning new stuff, no wonder they didnt actually have a clue LOL

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

It's the same old story, the people that use braindumps try to rationalise them so that they don't feel bad about themselves.

If it was only hurting them, I wouldn't give a hoot but it is not only hurting them, it is devaluing the certifications themselves and this is what really gets my goat, because it ultimately hurts me.

This is the reality...

People that use braindumps are despicable cheaters. They do not deserve and have not earned the qualifications that they boast about. They undermine everything that I and many other people like Simon work toward.

Braindumper = cheat End of story :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. trislloyd

trislloyd Nibble Poster

I totally agree! I haven't worked my backside off and spent considerable amounts of cash for some s**t to use braindumps and get the same qualifiiations i have worked so hard for. In the event of the value of my qualifications decreasings because of this i would feel extremely cheated. As most of us will know - these exams aren't altogether that easy if you arent using braindumps e.t.c. This is where experience plays a part as even though years ago i could build a pc without too many problems, networking and permissions and such were another matter and it's only through working in the industry that i have been able to get a good understanding of the kind of problems you wouldn't come across in an home environment! Use braindumps and you will only serve to cheat yourself, learn the correct way and it will hold you in good stead for years to come (not much phases me these days). Just say no! lol

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+, MCP
    WIP: MCSE, specializing in Cisco
  17. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

bring on simulations in exams!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I've heard they are starting to creep in Clyde. Do you have any feedback from your students regarding sims in the latest exams?

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)