A Mild Panic...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by AAMinistry, Jun 20, 2009.

1. AAMinistry

AAMinistry New Member

Hello again all! I have now finally moved back to my home town of Liverpool and amd working as a temp to earn some cash, but I am shooting for my first IT role.

The problem that I have is that the more I do my research, the more hopeless it seems. I'm reading Mike Meyers' A+ exam guide book with the hope of taking the exams off my own back in the coming months. But everything I read tells me I need experience, even for the lowliest first line helpdesk role. It just seems like an unbreakable catch 22 to me. I need an entry level job to get experience in IT, but I need experience to even get an entry level job.

So I need some advice if I could please. Is there some other route I could/should take? I would rather jab a screwdriver into my live mainboard than take up with one of these TV advertised training companies (mostly personal opinion but Cerco in particular just seems like a gang of spivs selling courses from inside their anorak on a street corner) and money is not a problem as long it is full time and minimum wage.

Help me please oh wise and experienced members of the profession!

Certifications: None
    WIP: None Yet
  2. Sco0t

Sco0t Byte Poster

The tip I've found is to still apply for these jobs regardless of experience, think of a job vacancy post from an employer as a wishlist. It wont hurt to apply anyway. I've found this out, you would be suprised.

Certifications: Bsc Net/Sys Support, HND Tech Support
    WIP: Network+
  3. AAMinistry

AAMinistry New Member

Thanks I may try that :) Push my luck so to speak.

I should also specify that I am most interested in System/Network support, maintenance and management, rather than programming, game design etc.

The other problem I've found is the distinct lack of the lower level roles in my area full stop. I think I will keep looking every day, apply for everything and keep working on my A+ and who knows, I might land myself a crafty interview (I've been told a few times my interview technique is quite good and I am good at selling myself when given the chance)

Thanks Sco0t. If anyone else has any views, all are welcomed :D

Certifications: None
    WIP: None Yet
  4. neutralhills

neutralhills Kilobyte Poster

You may want to try applying with the repair departments at retailers that sell computers and at the smaller computer shops. They are more concerned with hiring staff who are trainable and experience is less of an issue. Once you've outgrown that job role you can move on to the next.

Certifications: Lots.
    WIP: Upgrading MS certs