A little confused

Discussion in 'A+' started by cornishman, Dec 1, 2009.

1. cornishman

cornishman New Member

Hi

Thank you all for the replys on the other threds I have sent in.

But I am a little confused not being in the IT line of work, (I work on the land) I would like to learn more about computers and then maybe move on into that area.

I will be studying from home, I have got Mike Meyers book comptia A+ Certification (sixth edition) and James Pyles Pc Technician Street Smart.

What I would like to know is what Comptia A+ exams I need to take, I know I have to take the A+ Essentials first
    is that 220-601 ?
    and one of the others are they 220-602, 220-603, 220-604 ?

I have been on the net but most of what I can find out is from the U.S.A.

I even emailed a test center (that is near to me) three days ago and still have not had a reply.

Please can some one help me as working on my own I am finding things a little confuseing at the moment.

Regards Cornishman

Certifications: None at the moment
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

You're right. You need to take 601 and one of the elective exams (602,603,604).
    I am sure someone will write bit more on the topic. In the meantime have a look here.
    As seen on here most will suggest taking 602 exam after 601, but unfortunately I can't tell why.

Good luck

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Most people recommend the 602 because it covers all the domains. The 603 misses out at least one domain (laptops off the top of my head) and the 604 misses out at least one domain as well (networking and communication I think).
    I don't think it would make a difference to the majority of employers, although some might wonder why you did the 603 (Do you have no hands-on skills?) or the 604 (Do you have no people skills?)

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  4. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Be carefull!!

"The latest version of CompTIA A+ is CompTIA A+ 2009 Edition. Two exams are necessary to be certified: CompTIA A+ Essentials, exam code 220-701; and CompTIA A+ Practical Application, exam code 220-702. "

http://www.comptia.org/certifications/listed/a.aspx

There are new exams from next Feb. If you start now maybe you will run out of time...
    Just check it.

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  5. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There are no new exams in Feb, the new exams are the 701/702 which became active in August this year.
    The 600 series will retire on either Feb 28th 2010 or Aug 31st 2010. It looks like Aug 31st in the UK but I won't be placing any wagers on that.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

It's Feb in the US & Canada and and August in the UK not sure why byt that is apparently the case.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Well, that's not exactly what CompTIA has said. They've said that it's February in the US and August for "all other languages". Now, last time I checked, you guys speak the same language we do... sorta. Perhaps CompTIA thinks 'Merican is different from English (something you guys likely agree with!!) :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee

You spell some words differently.

I emailed compTIA and that's what they said to me. But then again I already passed it so I am not bothered.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I just took another look at CompTIA's A+ Web site, and they have (finally!) indeed clarified retirement dates for the UK:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

"Thread: A little confused "

I think if you really start learning now maybe better to start the 2009. It is available now anyway. I mean i would, as i do it with the N+.

11. greenbrucelee

why would it be better?

If the A+ 2006/7 exams don't retire until August then there's no need to hang around for Mike Meyer's new book that comes out in February is there?

Although you have no coice for the N+ the new version is the current one.

12. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I thought the 2009 edition gives you more up to date knowledge. (that is what i thought and red).
    Even tough i used and using Meyers AIO for the A+ (and i just got the N+AIO 20 minutes ago
    :biggrin) must be other books out there as well. So i would start studying now i would consider start the 2009.
    But that is only my opinion.

13. greenbrucelee

There wont be that much difference apart from that the 2009 version will include info on Vista that no IT dept in their right mind would use. Apart from that cable types etc havent changed BTX still isn't as popular as ATX and probably never will be so I doubt there is that much has changed.

However I know the N+ has changed a bit since the passing score has gone up about 125 points :blink

14. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

Probably the Vista stuff the biggest difference and the domains and the exams are different as well, (no it tech help desk and depot tech designation) Well everybody has to make his/her own decision.

15. miflandia

miflandia Byte Poster

I just reading the Meyers(2009AIO) book is says 100 questions, 90 minutest, 720 score, i have no idea about the previous edition scores, questions, etc :rolleyes:
    But that book looks great as well.
    I was laughing i just found the comptia world headquarter address: It is on the Meyers Road:biggrin

16. greenbrucelee

the previous score was 575 if I remember correctly however the time and amount of questions were the same.

The old N+ included topics on appleTalk and older networking technologies which the new one doesn't although some places still use them.