A linux question

Discussion in 'Software' started by Vendetta, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Good Morning All,

I am just installing ubuntu on VM, and planning to switch to debian in the future, and was wondering if they are simliar systems ie: would I have to re learn everything from scracth ?
    this might sound like a stupid question, but I am windows guy :)

would appreciate your feedback on this.

Thanks

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd try learning Ubuntu to the best of your abilities before moving onto debian. Although all Linux deviants are based on the same core they are all different.

Ubuntu tends to be the most 'user friendly' and would be the best place for a windows person to start IMO. Unless of course you are looking for punishment! :biggrin

3. oggler

oggler Byte Poster

Ubuntu is based on Debian. It is a Debian derivative / distro. So you do not have anything to worry about. The slight differences are more cosmetic thjan anything else.

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+, MCSA W2k3-Security, CEH
    WIP: CWNA, CWSP, CISSP
  4. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Thanks peeps!

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I use both Debian and Ubuntu. I guess you could say that Ubuntu is "user-friendly" Debian. The Ubuntu installer is easier to use than Debian, most of the apt sources are different but then that's because Ubuntu runs more desktop type apps. Ubuntu develops about as fast as Debian Etch (experimental) while most people use Debian Sarge (stable) in a production environment.

If you are using Ubuntu to learn Debian, try to use the apt system for software management instead of synaptic. Of course, with Ubuntu, you can't directly switch to root using su and must use sudo instead.

I've got an Ubuntu and Debian VM as well as having both distros installed on good old fashioned hardware.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Vendetta

Vendetta Nibble Poster

Thanks tripwire you are a star !:thumbleft