1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ job seeking

Discussion in 'A+' started by EdJons, Aug 14, 2009.

1. EdJons

EdJons New Member

Hi all,

I have a good amount of experience with repairing and building PCs but at the moment don't have any formal experience or certifications to demonstrate it. The A+ cert seems like a good road to take but as I have a very low income, I'm finding myself a bit put off by the relatively expensive fees, and would like a bit of advice as to whether it's worth me doing in the current climate.

I don't expect to find work straight away but it's quite scary reading members of this board state it may take 1-5 years to find that first bottom level tech job. I realise there's a lot of competition about and we're in a recession at the moment, but is this really an average time period for someone seeking their first IT job armed with an A+ cert (and a well written CV)?
  2. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

It may be an average time, however that doesn't mean that it'll take you that long.

I was one of those that took a while to get into IT, but that was mainly because:

1. I couldn't drive
    2. I just moved (at that point in time)
    3. I was trying to get into programming, a field of IT that wasn't as abundant as it was before the recession.

I know people who got their first job straight away, I know people who are still trying after alot more years, and I know people who have given up...

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip