A job for a woman?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by lovali, May 27, 2007.

1. lovali

lovali New Member

I've been doing some more research and am really not sure i'm moving in the right direction and would love some advice.

My goal is to be eventually spending my days doing PC repair and everthing that goes along with that but I cannot find a lot of evidence of women in this sort of role. Is it just that it does not appeal to most women or is there some other reason behind it?

If it is virtually impossible for a female to work in this field I may have to rethink my future. I know that I am physically strong enough for the work involving lifting and my interests lie in fixing things (I do my own car repairs and all diy around the house).

Any advice, if you know of women in this line, or if you are one would be great.

2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

is it virtually impossible for a woman to become a firewoman? is it impossible for a woman to become a police woman? both answers are No. its the same in this field... ...as long as you have the expertise, knowledge and committement, as in any field, in any type of environment, a woman can do a job just as good as a man...

Good luck in your career path, which im sure you will exceed in...

3. Certifiable

Certifiable Bit Poster

That’s a pretty sexist attitude :wink:

Seriously though, it has nothing to with gender and a lot to do with passion and dedication.

Seems to me that you are fine in that department :)

WIP: A+
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

There is absolutly no reason why you can not get a break into the IT world. There are just not enough of the fairer sex in IT. For some reason it is perceived as a male dominated industry and it need more famales to turn this around.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I think the reason that women aren't prolific in PC repair type jobs, is the same reason you don't see many females in any technical field.. they usually aren't that interested in it. Having said that, there are always exceptions that break the rule, this would seem to be the case with you. There is no prejudice as far as i am aware, so just dig in, start pulling PCs apart and do some studying to get your A+.. then start looking for the elusive job your after 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It is true that IT is mainly male dominated, but that's only because not alot of females find it appealing. However this is changing slowly as the sterotype view of the geek working in the basement is fading and professionalism is slowly taking over. Stick with it and you'll find a job in IT soon enough.

I know several females that work in IT, especially front line & second line support. And one good thing about PC's (and other IT related hardware/software items) is that it doesn't discriminate :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  7. lovali

lovali New Member

Thanks for the boost guys. I suppose we all have days where we doubt ourselves (oh, and I'm surrounded by sexist pigs at home!)

Even if there aren't many women in the field there's nothing wrong with being one of the trailblazers, just have to remember to keep the dream alive no matter what anyone says.

Cheers.

p.s nothing wrong with geeks in basements, I'm proud to be one!

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh.. i should mention that i personally know quite a few amazingly knowledgeable women in real life and on the Internet that without doubt would kick a$$ in any IT related job they chose to do.

Good luck,

Pete

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

That's because there aren't a lot of women in IT in general compared to men, but there are some. One of the most gifted desktop support technicians I ever met was a woman. She could figure out just about any problem. I definitely felt humbled by her (I had to take her place for three months while she was on maternity leave).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

This question could be flipped on its head: Can you think of a reason why a woman cannot work in IT support?

I've changed industries and no longer work in IT, but I recall a lady that I used to work with moved up the ranks pretty sharpish because of her skills and professional ethic.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

And hey, Iron's these days are getting very complex and computerised even, so you'd be able to fix them AND do the ironing!

I'll get my coat. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  12. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

well, I applyed for two IT jobs last week and the IT managers recruiting for both jobs were female.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  13. lovali

lovali New Member

It's ok modey i'm strong enough to take all the sexist jokes you can throw at me and I happen to think the feminist movement is a load of b******s!

14. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well I suspect the reason theres few women in IT is that they have found a good reason not to enter the profession. I'm no physcologist but i suspect the stereo typical anti-social charactersistics portrayed necessary aren't attractive to women as they are inherently more social creatures and thus hours of little interaction except with a computer don't appeal. Ironically soft skills tend to become more important as your IT career progresses and women are thought to be better at these.

I'ts certainly true that women in my experience are outnumbered by at least 8-1 in IT. Most of the women i've worked with did not have exceptional abilities but the same could be said of their male counterparts ! I have met a few women in IT who did truly excell. I don't think the profession as a whole is particulary sexist, most people only discriminate on ability.

You should be fine in your chosen career, best of luck !

15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Just go for it there's nothing wrong either male or female. My wife is a bit of a computer nerd too and I don't look at her any different.:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've worked with several women in IT throughout my career. There were two of them at my last place of work!

I don't care what gender you are or what color you are... if you can do the job, I want you on my team, period.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The IT industry is male dominated, but it's not discriminatory or sexist. Unless you hurl abuse at your male counterparts :twisted:

I work in First Line, and prior to that did quite a bit of moonlighting. I seem to have always stayed in male-orientated industries (previously did manual labour then sales for a manufacturer) and I personally seem to thrive on it.

You sound like you tick all the right boxes, and as BM said, if you can do the job, (and more importantly, if you love it) there's no reason why you shouldn't pursue your IT career.

And if anyone takes the pi$$, just kick 'em in the nads 8)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Otherwise known as man's Achilles heel :eek:

19. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh, that's the spirit. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Go for it!

In my experience I came to where I work for an IT role told I would have one within 4 weeks if I did another Job in the the company nothing happened after those 4 weeks and beacuse of the debt I was in from uni I could nt afford to move to another job elswhere 7 weeks after that a girl who was in the opposite group to me at Uni got the job I had been promised:(

The fact of the matter is some recruiters will recruit you if you know what your doing and your face fits and some wont recruit you even if you know what your doing and your face does not fit.

It does not matter weather your female, male, black white blue or green. It all depends what that particular recruiter wants

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?