A+ Help

Discussion in 'A+' started by zimbo, Aug 21, 2005.

1. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

hi guys... just wanted some advice cause im starting to get annoyed here... im using groth's a+ complete for studying this course but the prob is im getting bored going over details that i already know (since its the second time im doing this a+) i was looking at amazon and found two books:

A+ Exam Cram: 2
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/078973043X/ref=br_lf_b_8/202-1105607-0528667
    A+ Fast Pass
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0782142591/qid=1124631530/202-1105607-0528667

do you think i could use these books to get the stuff i need for the exam?
    Another idea im thinking is to get meyer's all-in-one complete book cause i have heard groth misses a few details and think ppl are right sometimes (i have found a few wireless issues!!)

basically i want to become COMPTIA A+ from my in-house A+ quick so i can move on! :rolleyes:

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Does that mean that you really know the material and are ready to sit the exam? Guess I'm confused here. If the material seems boring and repititious, maybe you've hit the saturation point.
    I've never used the Groth book so I can't say how good it is. The Meyers book is top notch, tho. I have used EC2 books before and they are meant to just be companion study aids to help you recall the high points right before you test. I've never used a Fast Pass book but from the looks of it, it seems to be more or less the same type of book at the EC2 series.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

One thing to remember in the certification process is that understanding concepts and being able to do the work in the field are different than passing a test. The Mike Myers all-in-One book is very large because he does a good job of explaining concepts. Books such as Exam Cram, PassPort, and the like are going to focus on one thing--the questions that are on the test. They will not help you understand the material or the concepts.

Learn the concepts well. Be able to do the work, and you will pass the test and be able to hold down a job once you finish the testing. Study to pass a test and once you pass it you won't be able to do the work, thus wasting much of the time and effort you spent studying and testing. You'll have to learn later what you should have learned in the certification process. It will be twice the work and twice the time for same amount of knowledge.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

:oops: sorry click the buttom by mistake....

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i think ill get the meyers book cause im not too sure on the way Sybex present the stuff... i open the book and it goes through CPU cases first lets say... i mean come on i know that type of stuff.. then we go onto SCSI types and we all know that BIG table we need to know about SCSI 2 its distance etc etc... im looking for a book thats going to refresh my memory so i can get my A+ and carry on... from the employment side i got a job recently but had one before so thats okay its just im struggling to get motivated to learn stuff i already know or have learnt!! :(

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

I think it sounds like your after something to bolster what you already understand in a shorter form, m8. Look around the A+ board for the "Free Cramsessions" thread (just search, actually).

Cramsessions are a godsend at the end of your main text, and whilst dusting up on prep tests. I may not have sat many exams, but for every one, I have used the relevant Cramsession, and damn - I swear by them.

HTH :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

YIPEEE!!!! forgot about those and a i saw them as soon as i joined!!! thanks man! :biggrin :biggrin

8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I have to say that while the Groth books are very "matter of fact" the Myers books are easy and a pleasure to read. :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

yeah i picked up on that just from reading some sample chapters!! :) well i guess ill be getting a copy of the meyers book :rolleyes: and we take it from there... 8) but im going to carry on with what i have right now..