A+ help / guidance

Discussion in 'A+' started by Mp4, Oct 26, 2008.

1. Mp4

Mp4 Bit Poster

Hi all,

I’m Gareth 26 from UK,
    I finished college back in 2005 and gained Level III Advanced Diploma for I.T. Practitioners (ICT Systems Support) but have been stuck in a rut at my job working for a supermarket since then.

I’ve recently bought Mike Myers.

A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (All-In-One) (Hardcover)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Certification-All-One-Guide-Sixth/dp/0072263113/ref=pd_sim_b_3

I’ve just been reading it very slowly and i can’t’ get the motivation to read it, and when i do read it i don’t digest what i read. Anyone have any tips on how to digest info?

Also can someone explain what a+ essential is?

Do i take 2 exams = essentials?
    Or do i do Essentials + another exam = essentials?

Any info would be a massive help and maybe some inspiration from here will help me move my ass 

2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I did the A+ a few years back. The book is great but to back up what you are reading I would suggest messing around with an old PC (get one from eBay) and try some of the things you have learnt from the book.

It helped for me! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. Mp4

Mp4 Bit Poster

I'm currently trying to save for a pc as i don’t want to bugger up my main pc here.
    I can build / repair a pc like anyone but cant digest all the technical jargon

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

No probs, if you want to talk to other technical people you need to talk technical jargon sometimes. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

If remembering all the acronyms is part of the problem, I made a thread that might help you.
    It's about a memory tool you can download online. I can't make any promises, but it helped me, and some other people seem to find it helpful.

I quite liked Meyer's book. It's much more readable, and a damn site less dry than the Microsoft Press book I'm studying now.

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

You do 2 exams to pass the A+ one of them is mandatory it is called 220-601 Essentials then you have to pass one other exam. These are 220-602 IT Technician, 220-603 Help Desk Technician and 220-604 Depot Technician.

Most people do the IT technician exam.

As for tech jargon, once you start using it and talking to others using it then it will just come naturally.

Welcome to CF.

BTW you don't need a super pc to study with, get one from your local recycling shop or one of those shops meths and druggies use to sell their stuff for gear. I got a pc for the A+ for £60

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

my tip, don't do the A+ by self study,spend some money and go to college.you only need a few hours during the night,one or two nights a week for classes.
    You are reading the book and not taking the information in, you have to learn 10 subjects for the A+ ,if you don't feel you could learn even one subject from the book college will get you through the 10 subjects and make sure you understand them,and that you are ready for the exam.

Tests are carried out every week at college for the A+,this will show you how well you are understanding each subject,and the tests are of exam quality.Some of the questions in the tests are tougher than the exam in my view.

If you are having difficulty with a subject on any day or week you'll get extra tuition until you understand the subject.

Remember this is a course for beginners and experienced people,the teachers should know who to devote more of their time to and who understands the subjects.

Personally i felt before i did the A+ that all the experience i had was enough for the exam, and that a course would be a waste of time and effort,i then saw the subjects covered in the A+ and found there was a huge amount to learn.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  8. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

I am also reading this book and i find it very readable although i do find that its a lot to take in so i keep an A4 pad next to me when i read and make notes as i read so then i can have the main parts that i feel i need to remember written in my "own language" as it were.
    What sort of conditions are you reading in?
    Do you have a lot of distractions?
    How long are you reading for at a time?

Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  9. Stuka

Stuka Nibble Poster

Hi Gareth,

Definitely follow the info that has already been stipulated to you and setup an old pc if you can. I've got two setup in my bedroom, one is my pride and joy (spent a fortune on it) and I've networked another old Mesh pc which I use to fiddle with when I'm studying the A+ (done stuff like dual booting to XP/Windows 98, navigating around XP etc)...

I've been a tech for about 2 years, so some of the A+ objectives were quite easy. But like del_port said, the A+ is deceiving, even if you've been in I.T for x amount of years and think you know it all. You do need to know a myriad of different things...

It’s easier said than done, but if you can, read a chapter over the course of 2 nights. I actually setup my own target: "1 chapter in 2 nights". It sounds silly, I know, but it MADE me read the book and stay on track...

If you read the book and stick to a routine, then maybe on a weekend, do a bit of tampering with an old PC, you should soon get into a comfortable routine. Granted, some aspects of the A+ is a balls ache. At times, I felt myself dropping off to sleep, especially when reading about IRQ's, DMA’s & electricity, but it’ll all pay off in the end.

My thinking regarding the A+ is this: I personally don't think it’s possible to remember everything for the A+ exam. There will be areas that you feel clued up on, and areas which are a complete blank...regardless, you will come to a point where you feel "ready" for the exam. I walked into my A+ Essentials exam with hardly any confidence whatsoever, yet I walked out with a pass.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about whether you’re taking it all in or not. For me, a considerable amounts of the A+ exam is just about taking your time and thinking logically...at least that’s what I believe. And remember, you may not think that the information is sticking, but truthfully, it probably is.

Just plod through the book, fiddle with an old PC and apply a comfortable routine. Even if you only do a chapter a week then fiddle with an old PC over the weekend, at least your adopting some sort of orderly procedure....it all builds a path to your A+ exam!

Jonathan.

Certifications: IT 2:1 Degree, A+, N+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP
  10. Mp4

Mp4 Bit Poster

I'm always reading at my gf's house as thats where i practicly live now. She has the TV on and i just try and read in the living room, sometimes i go to my bed and read there but 99.9% fall asleep ..lol

ushally i read up to 2-3hours a time in 1 go..

Thank you very much for explaning that to me!

So with the mike myers book i might as well read 220-602 then ? as no doubt it would cover 220-601 etc?

11. The Zig

The Zig Kilobyte Poster

The Meyers book says it covers all the objectives for all the exams. The Essentials (601) and the others - the 602, 603 & 604.

If your read it through, you should have grounding in everything. That said, I'd recommend applying your knowledge (a) with an old 'puter, and (b) with practice tests. Plus, reading around can't hurt. There are free web guides, like ProProfs too (though be aware, a lot of ProProfs study guide material is tailored to the older A+; not the 2006 version).

Certifications: A+; Network+; Security+, CTT+; MCDST; 4 x MTA (Networking, OS, Security & Server); MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Support; MCITP - Enterprise Desktop Administrator; MCITP - Server Administrator; MCSA - Server 2008; MCT; IOSH; CCENT
    WIP: CCNA; Server 2012; LPIC; JNCIA?
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Sounds like you need a quieter place to study... one that isn't so comfy you can sleep. ;)

I'd recommend reading everything. Remember, you're not just studying to pass a couple of exams... you're studying to become a better tech. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

WELCOME TO CT. they have actually said it all. Though i studied A+, never took the exam myself & dont think I will. Get a pc that will enable you practise and you should check out www.learnkey.com. They have very nice packaged interactive cds(12 sessions). I reffered my friend to that site he got the materials and he did just fine.

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  14. greenbrucelee

read the whole book not sections, some people make the mistake of only reading sections of the book. All of the exams crossover into each other so its best to read the whole thing.

For example: you may get questions on CPUs in the essentials exam, but cpu questions could also come up in any of the other exams more so in the 602 & 604.

15. Mp4

Mp4 Bit Poster

Thanks for the learnkey website , i shall take a look at those CD's.

I would go to college but my local college doesn't do A+ so i have to go out on my own and do this.

Have to say this is the most welcoming forum i’ve used :)
    I hope that in a few months i can say i’ve passed and share my experiences with you
    Thank you all very much for your advice

Gareth / Mp4

Update: I've had a look at Learnkey but the software is 2years out of date :P so is it really worth spending £500 on something that is out of date?

16. greenbrucelee

You don't really need a college anyway, a £60 piece of junk the Mike meyers book, might I also mention PC Technician street smarts by James Pyles aswell. The Pyles book has lots of exercises in it that will prepare you for actually doing the things techs do and will teach you in simple terms and wont overface you with technical jargon.

James Pyles is also an Admin on here under the guise of Tripwire45.

17. Mp4

Mp4 Bit Poster

Thanks i shall look in to that book also :)

i've found these:

http://www.cvision.co.uk/cd/aplus-essentials-220-601-testout.htm

has anyone used them ?

18. Obinna Osobalu

Obinna Osobalu Banned

Well that definitely tells you that nothing much has changed, because if so it would have been updated.

Your call still....... Will be nice to hear you passed anyway.:D

Certifications: MCITP:SA,MCTS(x5),MCSE2K3;MCSA2K3:M;MCP
    WIP: EDA7,70-652,Project+,MSP(70-632)
  19. greenbrucelee

Test out are ok to use, but with the two books and an old pc and some practice you should be fine. The mike meyers book also has a cd with it which has some learnkey video demo tutorials on it.

20. Mp4

Mp4 Bit Poster

Thats true :) lol

Yeah i've gone trough the CD and done the practice tests etc :) all good imo

erm sorry if this isnt allowed - delete the link if so..

i found this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CompTIA-A-Sel...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1308&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14