A+...good to have???

Discussion in 'A+' started by ukspeedster, Nov 1, 2006.

1. ukspeedster

ukspeedster Nibble Poster

Hi everyone,
    How good is A+ to have as a certification?
    In a recent interview I went to, for a Junior Support position, I said I would like to be certified to back up the knowledge I have gained so far by taking A+, N+ and the MCP's to gain an MCSE.
    The interviewers seemed to think A/N+ werent worth taking as they were a "too basic" and possibly a waste of time/money. However, they did recommend me doing the MCPs to get the MCSE. Also, CCNA (Cisco) if I was interested in networking.

I would like to hear any comments about what you guys think of this.

Thanks 8)

Certifications: BSc(Hons), ITIL, MCP
    WIP: MCSA 2003, CCNA
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I suspect they were looking from the point of view of the company.

Where I work A+ is fairly pointless for most, Network+ useful for some, but far too basic for others.

However - the certs *are* worth having, just that that particular company doesn't value them much!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Certs are *always* worth having. I still think the A+ is worth having even in a networking IT role, you may have to replace a backup device or upgrade RAM, all covered in the A+ 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When I was first starting out (just a few years ago), recruitment agencies most often focused on my A+ cert when referencing jobs they wanted to hire me for. It's a good, basic certification that you can build on and take in just about any direction.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

to be honest its not even about the cert its about the knowledge you gain from studing the A+ because A+ knowledge is always an asset in the IT field simple becaue its basic and provides a good base. If you ask me whether you should get it or not, I say if you have the funds go right ahead, and if the funds are not there well then studie anyways for your self, because knowledge is better then any paper you have.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA