A good start, thanks to CertForums.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by VantageIsle, May 26, 2007.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

First of all thanks to all who said hello in my intro thread.

After hanging around this forum for a while (and reading some of the top advice) I have decided to start applying for entry level IT Jobs. I have yet to pass my first Cert but I'm almost there (I have passed the O/S of the A+ and the H/W is in a few weeks) but I thought why not!:biggrin

Applyed for two jobs last week, one is helpdesk for a travel Firm (yet to hear from them,closing date for applications was yesterday)

and the 2nd was IT support for a school, and guess what.... I was contacted yesterday and asked to pop by for a tour of the school and an interview with the network manager and the headmaster!!

I'm sure the reason I was asked in was my Short and snappy CV (one page) which was modeled on the advice given in the 'writing a killer CV' post. Even though i have no IT certs (yet) I stated that I am keen to learn, know my way around Windows can work in a team on so on...

Anyway I have yet to land the job, but at least I'm in with a chance, the last time I had a formal interview was 9 years ago (and that was for a paint spraying job) so I'm not sure what to expect!

The job dicription states I will be installing programs, cabling and maintaining the the computers and equipment in the school.

What do you guys think, Is this a good place to start? have any of you or do any of you work in a school It department? any advice would be great as I know little about this industry.:oops:

cheers:D

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, VantageIsle and welcome to CertForums. First of all, congratulations on the pass and best of luck on future exams.

Secondly, if they offer you the position, it sounds like a great place to start. Unless you have prior experience in the areas you mention (cabling, installing programs and the like), you may find yourself struggling with the learning curve at first. This however, is how you learn, so it's a normal experience.

I've taken any number of contract job back in the day, wondering if I could manage the work. In the vast majority of cases, things went off without a hitch and even when problems arose, once I got past the anxiety of it and the job was finally over, I discovered that I'd learned something from it all.

This is how we all started in the business. Sounds promising. Good luck with the interview.

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

IMHO - if you are keen to learn, and are willing and able to look stuff up when you don't know the answer you will do well.

Just as long as the little (and not so little) horrors in the school don't finaly make you want to retire to a remote island!

Harry.

Edit: BTW - welcome to CF!

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

That's very promising!

Given that the network manager is the techie one, most likely he is the person you will want to impress - not the head master.

Show an interest in the infrastructure, ask some good questions, chances are it will be a case of the headmaster asking the network manager "what did you think of him?" and will go with his recommendation :)

5. VantageIsle

cheers for the feedback guys:D

Yep, it will be a big jump for me as I have spent the last 15 years painting cars!! we all have to start somewhere and this will mean 12k salary drop for me....OUCH!

Yeah I have some experance with installing programs, home builds ect but nothing on a large scale. Fixing my friends pcs are always spyware or virus related. I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot and quickly.

thanks for the advice guys.

6. VantageIsle

Cheers for the advice, yep.... Having spent nearly all of today revising networks for my A+core exam (in few weeks) I'll have a few questions on the setup!

Fingers crossed:biggrin

note to self: must stop swearing, after working in a bodyshop full of blokes for years my language would make Gordon Ramsey blush:oops:
    not good for this role!

7. Amine

Amine Byte Poster

Good Luck and let us know how you get on !

WIP: Exchange
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Good luck with the job :thumbleft

I've taken the drop - it hurts at first, but remember, it can only get better.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. VantageIsle

Cheers, and yep...I'll keep y'all posted.:)

10. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Good luck to you in your interview.

One thing to remember is that working in a school is a unique environment. where else do you have 300 computers log on and off every hour at the same time?

Show confidence, and one thing you don't want to do is try and know more than the network manager!

8)

11. VantageIsle

just returned from the interview.

I was the 7th guy they had seen today, I got the impression the network manager was a bit fed up of touring people around the school. He was a nice guy but he did not ask me much, we only just got talking about why I wanted to get into IT when the Deputy Head came along and asked me to finish the interview in his office...

This part went ok, but I got the feeling they already have someone in mind and are going through the motions, oh well, good experance anyway.

The network Manager let slip that most of the other candidates were from universitys looking for placements, I guess I don't have much of a chance next to them.

But, never say never... I could be lucky.

12. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Not necessarily, the NM could be having them 'forced' on him from the powers above. I know I've had this happen to me before.

Keep those fingers crossed! 8)

13. VantageIsle

Never thought about that. cheers for your comforting words.

Yep, EVERYTHING is crossed:D

14. Tartanbill

Tartanbill Bit Poster

If anything, I would reckon that would only strengthen your position.

Most university placements are for 9-12 months, after which they will return to your study.

If you are a network manager, it's going to be quite a pain to hire someone, get them to know the systems, have them become competant in their job and then just have them leave again.

Now compare that to a candidate that you know will be there long term...

See my thinking?