A friend in need

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ddan, Jun 29, 2014.

1. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi guys

I have a friend who has IT experience when his contract role ended he landed a job in a different industry and has been out of IT for a while is it still possible for him to get back into IT he said currently studying for his A plus the N plus self study will this be enough for him to get back into IT just wanted some advice from you guys so I could advise him correctly thanks :)

2. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

It really depends on what he is expecting to walk back in to? Also personally speaking I haven't ever really found anyone that uses the CompTIA exams as a yard stick over here in the UK, it's usually more the Microsoft exams.

You don't mention how long this person has been out of industry for, what their experience was prior to moving out of industry nor why they want to come back. All information that could well be asked for at interview.

I don't think it would be too difficult to come back in to a low ranked position but don't expect to be earning shed loads of money or landing a CTO role with no current experience but landing a service desk \ call logger position (depending on skill) shouldn't be an issue.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  3. Ddan

Ddan Nibble Poster

Hi simon thanks for your response he has over a years experience in 1st line left IT due to contract expiring and has been out approaching a year he aim was always to go back into IT he just got another job to pay bills

4. Nyx

Nyx Byte Poster

I'd advise him to spend few days reading certforums, plenty of great advice all over;)

I have had myself over 18 month break, doing non-IT work or being unemployed. If he is any good someone will give him a job eventually. Definitely will not come knocking at his door though.