A free cert for no effort and a little money?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Baba O'Riley, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Hey all,

I remember a similar thread not long ago but now I can't find it so apologies if this is exactly the same topic.

I just saw this link to another forum in another forum (understand?)

It seems that if you have either A+ or N+ you can, for $50/$70 dollars get a new cert from the Electronics Techcicians Association, either a Computer Service Technician or a Network Systems Certification.

The way I look at it, there is no harm in going for this but potentially some good. What does you guys say?

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I remember that - and more recently they actualy got it...

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. Baba O'Riley

Got the link Harry?

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This I think.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Baba O'Riley

That's the one, and it is the same (hangs head in shame) :oops: .

6. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hey Baba,

I recently purchased the Rollover to CST. (A+)

It didn't take too long to come at all, a nice spiffing Certificate that is actually lamiated as well as a lot of gumph on being an ETA professional.

While looking through the gumph, upon purchasing the CST, you get a one year membership with the ETA, and a certificate Valid for four years (from date of purchase).

The only possible issue is that you need to renew every year. You don't actually need to pay the full ammount every year (and im not actually certain you need to pay anything) but you do need to show you are working in a job that you are using your skills with, or have 15 hours of study at an ETA recognised centre.

That could be the only possible downfall . . . but I am considering purchasing the CSNT (N+ Rollover). :) I have more space on my wall to fill.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  7. Baba O'Riley

Nice one Lud. Cheers.

8. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

No worries Baba,

If you want me to check the stuff more thoroughly, just let me know and I'll tell ya for sure about the Yearly membership thing.

9. Baba O'Riley

It's cool for the minute, I'll wait till I get my N+.

10. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

this was discussed on another forum i'm at, and one of the downsides brought up was

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  11. Baba O'Riley

Excellent point :hhhmmm . I definitely won't rush into any decisions.

12. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

And here's a piece of paper that says you've got a degree.

With no study. :dry

All you have to do is pay for it. :rolleyes:

So my three years and x grand are worthless then. :x

Bra1ndumps, or equivalent, Dude, and no offence intended.

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  13. Baba O'Riley

I hardly think it compares to braindumps. If you don't already have the Comptia certs, then you have to work for the ETA certs. If you do already have the Comptia certs then they recognise that it's pointless covering the same ground and you've already proved capable of holding the qualification. I imagine they are using this to raise the profile of their own certification program, it's certainly not as sinister as braindumping.

As for the link you posted, I agree that it's not a particularly valid way of earning a degree, but I assume that, in America at least, it is legal in some way.

14. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

just thinking on this..

Do folks collect certs for the sake of it, or for a job related purpose?

whats the attraction for spending money on a cert that nobody has heard of and employers arent interested in?

I've got A+, but I fail to see the reason for buying this one.
    If I had not got A+, I'd see no reason either as A+ is well known and this aint...

just my 2 cents

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  15. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Hmm, I don't think anyone will say that buying a Degree would be ethical and most cases legal.

But to be honest, I think you are over the top here regarding the CST (rollover). It's okay, because you obviously have seen the thread, don't know the details and have made a decision without knowing the facts.

The CST is a certificate that you can pay the ETA $50 to get. You have to be A+ certified, obviously, to prove that you have the knowledge required to actually receive the qualification.

Each year, you have to prove that you are extending your knowledge, and have to re-apply every four years to show you are current in your skills.

To make a comparison between the CST and buying a degree is completely ill-advised. I purchased the cert because if nothing else, I thought it would look good on my CV.

The ETA are a valid educational organisation, and although they are not as popular worldwide as Comptia, they nevertheless certify many people in many different fields. ie Electronic engineers, Fibre Cabling, and Computer Technicians.

I for one and happy I got the cert, if only because it actually opened my eyes to ETA. I only wish they get more mainstream in the years to come.

16. Baba O'Riley

No one is not going to employ you for not having it, so where's the harm? It might impress someone enough to make the difference in getting a job or not.

17. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Just in case anyone wanted to check out who Eta International actually are . . .

Here

18. Clyde

Clyde Megabyte Poster

Well, like I said, if I already have A+, which is well known, whats the point...
    and if not, surely my time is better employed gaining a recognised cert...

show me the employers that are looking for it and I'll reconsider my viewpoint.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: MCITP
  19. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Just because it isn't widely recognised in the UK, doesn't mean it isn't recognised abroad.

To be honest . . . I can see the point that you don't really need two qualifications that basically mean the same thing, but from two different Governing bodies. However, the point is that ETA-i are trying to offer exams at affordable prices, and in doing so, are rivaling Comptia. Lets face it, comptia need a kick in the rear as far as their exam prices go, so it could only be a matter of time before ETA-i are just as recognised, or even more so, than Comptia.

Anyway, it only costs $50, and about 5 minutes of your time . . . about the same time it would take to read an introduction to whatever exam you decide to spend your time on.

20. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

Something worth looking at before you make up your mind on ETA-i . . .

Here