A few Questions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Rob1234, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi, I have a few questions, even though I am currently studying for my Network+ my manager wants to know what other training I will be doing next year, as I only started my N+ a few weeks ago I probably won't sit the exam till May-June time. Then I will look at doing the MCDST but my boss wants to know what training material I will need and how much it will cost so they can work out my training budget for next year (including my N+). So my questions are:

1) I was thinking of getting the MS press books and the exam cram books for each exam, and the transcender CD-ROMs. Does that seem like enough? What would you recommend?

2) Also my manager says that I can do other types of training for the MCDST, such as training courses, online training etc. but I'm not too keen on training courses as I prefer to study at my own pace, do you know any other type of training I could do?

3) Last question, I also want to upgrade the MCDST to include the Vista exam but on Microsoft's website it shows these three courses but which one should I upgrade to? Is there a standard route or does it depend what sort of work I do?

4)Thought of another question I read that the exams cost £88 is that correct that seems cheap compared to CompTIA not that I'm complaining!

Thanks for taking the time to read this. Any info would be appreciated :D

Certifications: A few.
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Forget Network+... just go straight for the CCNA...

...no experience required. :thumbleft

(DISCLAIMER: parody thread)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

1) get all of those, that should suffice

2)if you prefer your own pace self study then

3)not sure about this but I would do one that supports what you do as a job

4)yes the MS exams are cheaper for some crazy reason.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. no_one_here

no_one_here Bit Poster

From the URL you supplied, it seems you have answered your own question. See its item 3. Basically, the 70-621 exam combines two others - 70-620 (MCTS: Windows Vista Configuring) AND 70-622 (MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician) - and gives you both certs IF you pass. Of course, you could always take both exams separately.

MCITP: Consumer Support Technician is a separate exam (70-624) and requires 70-620 as a prerequisite.

Look on the Microsoft website for further details.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, MCDST Network+ A+
    WIP: 70-270
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Thanks for that I see what you mean I thought I had to pick one of those three but I just have to do the 70-621.

Certifications: A few.
  6. no_one_here

no_one_here Bit Poster

Please note that for 70-621 you will HAVE to study and know the material for 70-620 AND 70-622. I think I saw somewhere that MS pick the hardest questions from those two exams for 70-621 (to make one exam out of two). I don't know if that's true, but be prepared anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation, MCDST Network+ A+
    WIP: 70-270