A few questions for recent Security+ candidates

Discussion in 'Security+' started by Asterix, Oct 31, 2010.

1. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Guys,
    I previously created a thread in the Network+ area on the same theme as this (here) and personally found it pretty useful! Ive passed the Network+ and am now embarking on the Security+ (hopefully by Xmas) i thought i would fire the same questions in this direction and see if I could get some responses from people who have recently passed their Security+:
    1)How long did you study for the exam?
    2)Were the questions more (or less) challenging that expected?
    3)Did any topic areas arise which you wernt expecting?
    4)What do you feel was your most valuable study material?
    5)Any other relevant/notable information

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not a recent pasing candiate (I passed in 2007), but here are my answers...

1 month

Average, but this is from a personal perspective. Wording is something else though.

Not really, I used a variety of resources, so I was expecting alot. However the question is: Was a ready for it? :)

All, plus previous security study.

You can read about my experience here.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Thanks Ken

4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

The Gibson book is highly rated on-line and it worked for me (850).

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple
  5. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

There seems to be a lot more people studying the Network+ than the Security+, surprises me that there are not more takers, especially as it was the most obvious choice in the Comptia range (for me) after net+

6. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Not really surprising, there are alot more people studying/taking the A+ compared to the Network+. Added to that Comptia exams are expensive, compared to others. Most tend to start to delve into the area that they want to move into (eg CCENT for networking, Apple Certified Associate for Apple, MCTS for Windows, etc...). It's only if the person want to gain basic security knowledge or if they are moving/want to move into a role that deals with security that they start to look at the security+ cert.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security