a few questions about virtual pc 2007

Discussion in 'Virtual and Cloud Computing' started by greenbrucelee, Jun 14, 2007.

1. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

1. How many virtual Operating systems can you run on it
    2. Can you fiddle around with those operating systems configuration as to see if you can reslove issues etc.
    3. If you have software which is compatible with those OS can you put them on to see how the function differently if at all
    4. Can you use all of the features of the Operating systems

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Think of Virtual PC as a normal PC, you can install onto it what ever you like. the only difference is that rather than a physical box everything is contained within a file.

3. greenbrucelee

Cheers dude!:D

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...as long as it's legal to do so. That's a great reason to invest in the MS Action Pack or TechNet Plus.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Out of interest, why would you choose Virtual PC over VMWare? I know both camps will have their own supporters, but I find VMWare much better than Virtual PC - and, as an added bonus, it's what you would most likely be dealing with in the real world, so using it would prepare you for a technology that you will more than likely be encountering in the not-too-distant future.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  6. greenbrucelee

I dont know anything about VMware is it free, and how does it differ from virtual pc 2007?

7. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Well, to be honest, Virtual PC has caught up with VMWare pretty quickly, but I still prefer it.

It is free - you can download it from VMWare's site. Whilst the 'install as a base O/S' ESX Server is still what you will find in most data centres, VMWare Server is humming away nicely in my environment - I've currently got eight different servers running on one box and it's been up for nearly seven months without issue.

Last time I tried Virtual PC (about ten months ago) there were still serious issues with USB support, which made it a pain in the ar$e to use.

VMWare has a much wider user-base than Virtual PC, and you are much more likely to find quick answers to problems you encounter when using it than you would be with similar issues in Virtual PC.

Of course, there are also literally thousands of pre-built appliances for VMWare - from Linux pre-built distros to Anti-Spam devices to Firewalls.

Like I said, I haven't used Virtual PC for a while, and it may well have improved, but I just prefer VMWare, and there's no harm in making a suggestion to someone who may not have considered it before :D

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  8. greenbrucelee

Thanks Zebulebu I will investigate it and try it out if I think it will do I might do one then the other just to compare them:D

9. fortch

fortch Kilobyte Poster

I've used both, and always considered VMWare to be superior. However, I believe VirtualPC, with additions, is faster now (except for the linux additions). VirtualPC 2007 screams, and I have no less than 4 VM's on at a time, but they ain't doin' much! As with any VM product, make sure you've got plenty of RAM, and a decent proc won't hurt.

Ryan ..errr..Phoenix.. will tell you for sure, he's the real VM dude!

Certifications: A+,Net+,Sec+,MCSA:Sec,MCSE:Sec,mASE
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

in all fairness, most Type 2 hypervisors are pretty common these days, a lot of the power is in the feature set that's wrapped around them and the performance

in my experience VMware workstation 6.0 has the best performance so far, but VMware workstation is not free, it costs money
    VMware server is free, and its not far behind in the performance league, but cuts out a lot of the cool features that Workstation 6.0 has for a testing environment

Virtual PC performs fine for pure windows stuff, but again the feature set is not brilliant
    Virtual Server has some features you only really see in the enterprise class ESX3 but most of that is based on the MSCS and requires some hefty kit investment to work properly, and isn't really warranted for most est environments

The question I put to you is what do you plan on doing with virtualisation, what do you want it for? that may help sway your direction
    it may also highlight if the cost of VMware workstation is warranted or not, its about 100 quid and has to be (apart from Vista/XP) one of the most useful bits of software I have ever bought

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Better still, with VMWare you make a snapshot of a certain point and you could "roll back" to that point. With VPC you create differencing disks. The method in VMWare is much quicker.

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  12. Steve.L

Steve.L Byte Poster

There's a new kid on the block, I have played with it a little (never get time to really try it out) has some nice features and best of all is free, certainly as good as Ms offering, here's a link for you http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads. I have Vmware workstation which imho is the de facto app for virtual test invironments but it costs.

Steve

Certifications: N+, MCP, MCTS, RHCT, VCP4 and 5, RHCSA
    WIP: ccna
  13. greenbrucelee

I will look into both and compare them I think