1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few months in....

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Simit, Oct 13, 2010.

1. Simit

Simit Bit Poster

Further to my last thread - http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread39376.html - I thought I'd give a little update as reference for other people as I found similar threads useful to myself in the past (and still now).

So I've been in my role for about 4 months or so now and recently had my first probation review. I can't express enough how much I love my job and going off my first review it seems I'm doing very well ('extremely impressed' in my managers words :biggrin).

I've learned so much in a short amount of time and I'm dying to learn more. So far I've done the usual logging on the helpdesk, dealt with log-in failures, being unable to print, deploying images, driver/windows updates, password resets, creating OUs in Active Directory, deploying printers/software to them, setting up wireless access points, patching in our cabinet and the list goes on.

As part of my apprenticeship I am studying for the Network+ (due to be taken in December before the new expiry rule comes out) and have opted to jump on the CCNA Sem1 too. In the mean time I am trying to get involved in as much as I can; more switch/server/AD/group policy stuff and shadowing 2nd Line when/where I can but not getting to ahead of myself at the same time.

So yeah, all in all a career in IT is definitely for me and to anyone trying/wanting to get into it - keep at it, it's more than worth the hardship!
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: MCITP: 70-680/685/686 + CCENT
  2. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Well done and congrats on the new post :cheers
    Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Great to hear mate!

Sounds like you're doing well.
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Good work, you sound exactly how I felt when I started my job in January (first IT job), and now I am just beginning to apply for my second IT job and I still love working in this industry, I second what you say, if it is what you want to do, then go for it!
    Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Nice one mate :biggrin
    Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Exchange 2007\2010