1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A+ exam type.. help!!! :-/

Discussion in 'A+' started by Benny30, Feb 21, 2011.

1. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Hi guys,
    I'm looking into self-study for the A+ qualification. However, reading about it there seems to be two types of exam objective.. 2006 whereby you do the Essientials which appears to be the 220-701 exam, then choose between Remote Technician, Depot Technician and 2 others for a 2nd exam, or the 2009 one where you do the 220-271 and then the 272 which is the Practical Exam which is a "extension of the knowledge and skills identified in CompTIA A+ Essentials, with more of a "hands-on" orientation focused on scenarios in which troubleshooting and tools must be applied to resolve problems".

Are they the same thing?! How will I know what to study for..?
    I'm planning on studying from books and downloading nuggets as material.

I really don't want a practical "take a pc apart and have a look" kind of exam, which is why I am studying at home instead of classroom based training. My friend did the A+ and said it was nothing to do with practical things and was purely theory... so i'm confused! :-s

Any guidance you may have would be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks,

Ben.

2. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

The 2006 version is retired by now.

That narrows down the options for ya :p

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  3. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Thanks for the reply..

So that does narrow things down a bit, so I don't have to choose between remote tech/depot tech etc...
    So could anyone help me with what the 2nd exam consists of? Do I actually have to attend a lab and rip a pc apart as part of the exam? Can the 2nd exam still be done with self study at home?

Thanks.

4. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Both A+ exams are multiple-choice style exams that are completed at a testing center...there is no lab component for the A+. You can use self-study to prepare for both exams.

5. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Thanks for the help guys...
    Can anyone suggest the best book to buy for self study? Someone suggested one by Mike Meyers but not sure which one it would be.. i take it it would be for the 2009 objectives?
    And can anyone elaborate on what the Practical Exam entails?

Thanks again.

6. Simonvm

Simonvm Kilobyte Poster

I was very much satisfied with the A+ AIO by Meyers... Get that one, it delivers!

Certifications: MCITP: EST, MCDST, MCTS, A+, N+, CCNP, CCNA Wireless
  7. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Cool thanks! Is that the 7th edition one?

8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Yes.... the 7th edition can be found here

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster Premium Member

Hi Benny,

I'm also studying towards my A+. Yes most people do suggest the Mike Myers AIO but another good book is the A+ Complete Study Guide Link, which I am using at the moment.

Also check out Professor Messors on-line training video's which are completely FREE - Link.

Good Luck with the studies.

Regards

Rob :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  10. Benny30

Benny30 Bit Poster

Thanks again for the advice.. will check out that book too :)