A+ exam simulators

Discussion in 'A+' started by tony_baduk, Feb 13, 2008.

1. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Nearing the end of Mike Meyer's sixth edition and want to take some exam simulators. Are there any which are recommended better than others?

There are loads on eBay - are they any good?

Thanks in advance.

Certifications: BA (Hons) Media & Comms
    WIP: A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

don't buy of ebay they are usually braindumps.

Look at transcender and preplogic for practice exams although expensive they are good. (you can get demos to see which you like the best)

Bosons isn't available yet.

The only free one I know of that is legit is on proprofs.com although some of the questions in the practice tests relate to the older objectives but knowing that stuff is still useful.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

What are braindumps? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

4. greenbrucelee

braindumps are exams which are the real thing or they gave you the answers to the tests, if you use them you can be decertified for life.

5. greenbrucelee

6. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

So is it against the Comptia terms to take these braindumps?

7. greenbrucelee

Yes, if you use braindumps for any certification wether its compTIA or Microsoft or Cisco they can find out and you can be decertified for life i.e barred from taking any certs again and any certs you have taken off you.

8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Braindumping will also mean you probably wouldn't keep any job you get for very long, because the employers would soon realise that you dont have the knowledge to your certs say you do! :)

I can recommend the questions with the Meyers book as very good and Transcender as very good as well, I used them both for my A+ some months ago! :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Of the various exam 'simulations' that I used when doing my A+ I felt that the ones that are on the CD with the MM book were the closest to the real thing.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. tony_baduk

tony_baduk Bit Poster

Thanks very much guys for your useful replies.

Very helpful indeed.

11. MrBlack

MrBlack New Member

A bit of thread Necromancy here. (Trying to keep information in one place)

I've been following the forums for a couple of weeks now (first time poster) after having decided to start getting some certifcations, having worked in the IT Industry back in the day in an Administrator role, having a Degree in Computer Science but now being in a support/helpdesk role. I aim to get my MCSA so I thought I may as well do the A+ and Network+ regardless as I'd hope to be able to churn them out within a few months.

I've just been reading through the Mike Meyers book, as reccomended on this forum, for a week or two and I'm about half the way through it, and have gone through some of the practice exams on the cd etc. Been getting 80-90% without any real studying as I would call it, so I thought I'd take a look at the practice exam software available.

People seem to reccomend the practice exams from Transcender and PrepLogic (on these forums), so I downloaded the demos to see what they were like. However I notcied that the PrepLogic ones seemed signifcantly more specific/difficult than the Transceder ones, which were very similar in style to practice examples in the Mike Meyers book and CD. Well at least from the demos that I used. The PrepLogic demo seemed to include a high amount of case study/scenario questions along with a lot more multiple correct answer questions as well as Image identification (i.e. whats this picture).

Does anyone have any experience of using the practice exam software who had taken the exams and reccomened which ones seem more indicitive of the questions and styling. I may end up buying both pieces of software anyway, as too much practice and information is never a bad thing but I was just suprised at how different the two sets of exam questions felt, and would prefer not to waste my time or money if one is perhaps less relative.

Thanks in advance.

12. greenbrucelee

Hi Welcome Mr Black

I bought both transcender & preplogic practice exams after using the demos for the A+. I also prefer the preplogic ones. The Mike meyers ones are good too.

None of them should give you the real questions you will face on the exams but they will be similar, its upto you which ones you get.

Good luck

13. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

One thing to consider when purchasing a practice exam is what you're looking for. If you're looking for an accurate simulation of the exam, then you'll want to find out if the exam contains long, detailed scenarios or short, multiple-choice questions. I wouldn't want to purchase an "exam simulation" product only to find out that it really wasn't a simulation of the exam at all. That is, if you study hard for scenario-based questions only to find out that you've wasted a bit of effort because the exam contained mostly short questions, that may be dismaying. It's really based on what you're looking for out of a practice exam.

14. MrBlack

MrBlack New Member

Yes I didnt mean I want an exam replicator with the same exact exam questions etc, i.e. real exam questions as you put it. I was just refering to the style of questioning etc. I wouldn't want to waste my time purchasing practice software to be lulled into an exam style that had no correlation to the actual exam itself, I don't want to sit down and then be surprised at the style of questioning etc. I want the exam software for two purposes, one to prepare me for the exam and two to highlight where my area of knoweledge is weaker and what I need to concentrate revision on.

Perhaps the demos are a poor example and make the difference between the two look greater than they are in reality, I suppose 10 questions isn't really much to go off and any difference between them will thus be more greatly magnified with a small sample.

I suppose I'll end purchasing both anyway in that case but I was just a tad surprised by one of them.

Thanks for the replies.

15. Distant_Horizon

Distant_Horizon Bit Poster

Wow, glad I read this thread! I've been studying for A+ on & off for about 1.5 months now, and had planned on searching for braindumps to practice. Did not know they were illegal!

I don't see how they could catch you, but doing something illegal in your career path just seems stupid.

I have Exam Cram book + CD (just did the essentials test out of the book, haven't used CD yet), thinking of coughing up for the preplogic exam sims too.

Certifications: A+ (IT Tech)
    WIP: CCNA
  16. greenbrucelee

Somebody could report you as someone would report a drink driver to the cops, a future employer could find out and tell the relevant body.

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

There are ways, but the vast majority of braindumpers never get caught. That said, why worry about whether they could catch you or not? Cheating is cheating. Even if nobody else knows you cheated... you'll know you cheated. If you have a shred of integrity, and it sounds like you do, turn your back on braindumps and never look back. You'll be a much better tech for it, I promise you. :)

Glad you saw the thread, DH! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. Distant_Horizon

Distant_Horizon Bit Poster

Yeah, no way I'll use them now that I know they're not legitimate. The Exam Cram Practice Questions CD I have got good marks on Amazon, and the PrepLogic tests sound like they're well-regarded. I'm sure they will be enough to tell me if I'm ready to take the exam.

Certifications: A+ (IT Tech)
    WIP: CCNA