A+ Exam Series?

Discussion in 'A+' started by Slimzee, Dec 5, 2007.

1. Slimzee

Slimzee Bit Poster

Hello

Im planning to study for the A+ at home but I have some questions. Ive contacted a local college about sitting the exam but they are asking me what series of the exam I want to sit, so can someone tell me what different types of exams there are?

The books I have at the moment are:

A+ Certification Bible
    A+ Certficiation for Dummies

Is there any specific books/material I need for the exam?

Will there be practice exam papers available?

Thanks.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA, Windows 2008, Windows 7
    WIP: build my windows skills
  2. jamman32

jamman32 Nibble Poster

Hi and Welcome slimzee.

self study is definatly the route to take. As for books Mike Meyers A+ All In One Exam Guide .
    Reading this myself and it is a good book highly recomended on this forum.

The other is pc technician street smart. Not read this one but is also highly recomended on here.

Good luck with study.

jamman32

Certifications: city & guilds engineering
    WIP: comptia a+ n+/ linux+
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Apparently the A+ cert for dummies isn't very good, the books you definetly need are the ones Jamman mentioned.

As for exams you need to pass two out of four available you have to do 220-601 essentials and either 220-602 IT Technician (which is what most people do) and them 220-603 and 220-604 (these are not normally done unless an employers asks you to, as they are for remote PC technicians) so do 220-601 and 602.

You do not take these exams at college unless they are a certified Pearson Vue or Prometric test centre, if you go on the pearson vue web site or prometric you will be able to find your nearest test centre.

As for practice exams, you get a disk with a few on with the Mike Meyers all in one exam guide and you can download demos and then buy full practice exams from Preplogic or Trancender by visiting their websites.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Slimzee

Slimzee Bit Poster

Thanks for the advice, the college i contacted was the one listed on the Pearson Vue website, Il check out the Mike Myers books, thanks.

Certifications: A+, N+, CCNA, Windows 2008, Windows 7
    WIP: build my windows skills
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't know about the A+ Certification Bible book but I believe the "Dummies" book died in the reviews.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good advice above. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep... the Dummies book caused an old co-worker of mine to fail... twice. She picked up the AIO by Meyers and passed easily.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!